What do ya'll think of this idea for blower porting?

sizemoremk

Hey guys, just some thoughts for us poor boys that can't afford the MP setups...

Take a look at the attached pic.

I was thinking that because someone with the know-how to weld on a blower case would prolly cost so much, that perhaps some of the previously discussed aluminum epoxy/filler/putty could be used in the red area, and then ported as shown.

The inlet plenum may be alot easier to have welded.

I was also thinking that is may be good because the charge has a easier path closer to the center of the rotors.

I now it isn't quite as big as the MP inlet, but just curous what ya'll think.

Would that shape cause too much turbulance, or does it really matter right there?

Do you think there would be sealing issues with this idea?

Thanks for looking guys!

Attachments

• proposed_change.JPG
    proposed_change.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Or perhpas not have the point, and port as much possible in between...

Attachments

• proposed_change2.JPG
    proposed_change2.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 224
The middle area is not where you want to raise the area it's more on the sides so the rotors have more time to grab air b4 they seal.

Like this:

Attachments

• epoxy case.jpg
    epoxy case.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 382
i think u guys are going about this the wrong way? how bout, first, raising the intake manifold, somebody wanna MOD it so it can be raised about an INCH or 2 so it can hold more air, then work ur way to the SUPERCHARGER?

darkstar_one said:
i think u guys are going about this the wrong way? how bout, first, raising the intake manifold, somebody wanna MOD it so it can be raised about an INCH or 2 so it can hold more air, then work ur way to the SUPERCHARGER?

Randy of "Randy & Connie" already has done this. I would contact him and discuss it with him. I'm just not sure if he plans to offer this service or if he just made a few for a couple of people on the board. He's already shown a few pictures of it and it does look nice.

J57ltr said:
The middle area is not where you want to raise the area it's more on the sides so the rotors have more time to grab air b4 they seal.
hehheh heh heh hehheh

he said GRAB

heh huhhuh heh hehheh

On a serious note...some blowers will create a substantial whining sound after porting.
Others will emit a loud whiiirrrrrrrrrrr-POP-BANG-cRuncH...
neonblower.jpg

signed: anonymous

Speaking of raised intake manifolds...EVer take a look at a stock lighting or or cobra lower intake....Or even that of a roots old school style?...not much there

Just a ported plenum and manifold build up is worth a min of .200
On a ported plenum and raised manifold ,you will take off well over
.500 to .750 off your time slip.I have not tested the raised manifold
on the track yet.But will be doing dyno & track testing soon.

You will get about the same et gain from a ported ,or MPII blower.
As you will get from my Stage I plenum-manifold .A min. of .200+
For $600.00.The stage II is much better at $600.00.And the
stage III manifold-plenum will make more power than a MPII blower mod.$1200.00

If you want to be on the fastest list or be one of the fastest.You will
have to modify or have your manifold-plenum professionally modified
and ported.If you want to run in the low 11.0s or 10.s.Three of the
top ten people listed on the fastest list run modified manifold & plenums.
Although not as complete as my manifold-plenum modification is now..
And as soon as the tracts open this spring,There will be more names
in the top ten running manifold-plenum mods than not.

One good thing about my parts is that they never wearout,and cost
less for the same or more power than a ported blower.

Just a M90 blower mod by itself will not get you there,unless you go
with a AR blower.I predict that soon the fastest sc will be running
a AR blower and with a Stage III manifold-plenum.I am looking and
hoping to push 325 to 350 rwhp with a stock long block sc motor.
Then I plan to later add a ported set of heads & cam.

Randy

Last edited:
darkstar_one said:

Well it looks like Mike is looking for something he can do at home, and there were plenty of people that have run the stock lower manifold without modifing it and run well into the 13's. Plus there is a little more work involved in raising the floor and opening the inlet than porting the blower. You gotta start somewhere.

super red91, that's my picture so you need to pay me for using it. :D

A plenum & manifold can be done at home.Just as well as porting a blower.
If you can weld and port a blower,you can modifiy a plenum & manifold.
J57ltr your just lazy. :)

RANDY

Not lazy I just don't have any SC's anymore, Wynn has them. I have a baby on the way so I bought a Taurus. SC's are way too expensive on parts replacment so I'm sticking with El Diablo. Still a proted blower is a good start.

Jeff

Jeff I know what you mean about SCs and money.I would of got into
a different car project.If I new what I do now abount a SC..

Just kidin about being lazy :)

A ported blower is a good place to start,with a larger or better
flowing blower plenum.

Porting a blower.I would enlarge & port the sides and floor.
Before raising the top center to a peak.I would port straight
across the top.And the blower plenum is just as important in
enlarging & porting as the blower intake hole.There may be more
air flow in porting the top of the blower than the back of the blower.
But of course to do a good job the intake plus blower exit need
to be ported.

I would think you can get from 20 RWHP to 50 RWHP from
porting your blower plus plenum.Depends on your other mods.

RANDY

Last edited:
J57ltr how much for the pic :D , but on a serious note do you care if I use it? If not I will change it.
Think of it as free advertising for you blower porting, when people see it they will ask me and I can tell them ;)

Last edited:
I missed much of the conversation earlier.

I read at one point that the outsides and bottom of the rotors actually have a tendancy to push the air away before grabbing the air to pull in, which is why "they" raise the port up. So the air is comming from "behind" into the rotors, rather than fighting the pulses from the spinning rotors?

I would think that there would be less resistance with the "in-between" cut, which might allow a less restrictive flow directly into the rotors.

I know it may not help much with volume of air, but may help the velocity of the air, hence being more of a torque improvement rather than a HP inprovement. If I have an accurate undertanding that velocity = torque and volume = HP. Any correctons on this idea are welcome as well.

My idea was also based on what might be the easiest to do...

I do have a spare intake manifold, and return plenum, and was planning on openining them up also.

But I can't weld, so what ever I come up with will have to be relatively easy to take to somone that can weld, and have it ready for them to do quickly, easily, and cheaply.

RandyNConnie, Do you have a price listing for all of your intake porting services, and a good description of what it is you do for the different stages? As I do have a spare intake manifold and return plenum....

Thanks guys!

super red91 said:
J57ltr how much for the pic :D , but on a serious note do you care if I use it? If not I will change it.
Think of it as free advertising for you blower porting, when people see it they will ask me and I can tell them ;)

what happened to fair use? if we had to pay for everything we use, our avatars, and other stuff this would suck ***.

But on another note, Ima find me a spare manifold and intake and return plenums and ima port them myself and have the manifold raised by a couple of the machine shops here in LOS ANGELES, or should i say, a couple of the hundred machine shops here in los angeles, see which one costs less to do it, I tried welding aluminum and i just dont have the patience to do it. Plus i dont have a PLASMA cutter to cut the top of the manifold and raise it, Well anyways, i think it should be like this,

Start with the HEADS, PORT AND POLISH, open those bad boys up, then the manifold, then the plenums, and then the SUPERCHARGER, then u get a big *** intercooler and re route the pipes.

My theroy is based on what later generations of Eaton blowers have done. Since they have the R&D $, they can hire guys that are most likely be able to come up with the best system. And have the tools to do it.

First I think the inlet should be raised up. Raising it just in the middle allows an easier path for the air on the outlet to escape faster. There also needs to be a blend in the back to allow for slightly more timing, like on 94-95 blowers. The area on the floor also needs to have a peak almost all the way to the inlet. I have some pics on my laptop that I'll have to post to see what I'm talking about. Then there is the outlet.....TBC

Super 91 I don't care just making fun.

Didn't mention before, but I must stick with the stock hood. So with a raised top, I don't know what kind of option I have for a raised intake manifold, I just figured I'd open up the return plenum and the intake connections...

I want to maintain the "stock look" of my 35th, so I plan to keep my mods in the SC porting, heads, cam, an maybe a double IC, so that it looks pretty much stock.

I can see doing heads, cam, and intake first; but I will be doing all of these together, as I am modding my spare top end and will swap everything out at once. And getting my heads O-ringed, the shop here said they'd o-ring em for about $180. I hope to get a huge night and day difference from doing all the mods at once?

I also forgot to menition I gots me a small 50 HP shot of nitrous already installed, courtesy of MR. J57LTR :D But I don't think the 50 shot is doing much but cooling the charge at this point... I'll prolly go to the 75ish shot after the 10% pulley and the Oringed heads.

I'm rambling now, but just wanted to mention that the rasied intake probably isn't much of an option with a stock hood.

Last edited:
Back