Quickest way to 500hp?

Kev70

What's the quickest way to 500hp? Has anyone tried boring/stroking the enigine out first? What else besides NOS and spending 6 or 7 k for a Coy Miller engine... Any ideas? Is there anything that will finally put us up there with the Grand Nationals, 5.0 Mustangs, and TT Jap cars?

Quickest way to 500 hp is to sell the SC and buy a Mustang 5.0, put a blower, exhaust, intake, cam and some heads and you should be pretty close

do a transplant....scrap the SC engine and go with a 460. you could get it up to 500hp pretty easy and mount it to a c6 tranny. that would be awesome.

either that or call coy miller.

btw, people have stroked out sc engines...lots of work and pain in building and especially maintaining and engine like that.

How much power did he get out of the 3.8? Didn't it get stroked to a 4.3? Weren't they looking for a new SC to put on there? Coy Miller's engine didn't have as much power as the stroked engine did it? I didn't want to get rid of the 3.8 in hopes of the value of our cars going up one day. LOL

Kev70 said:
What's the quickest way to 500hp? Has anyone tried boring/stroking the enigine out first? What else besides NOS and spending 6 or 7 k for a Coy Miller engine... Any ideas? Is there anything that will finally put us up there with the Grand Nationals, 5.0 Mustangs, and TT Jap cars?

A 250 hp shot of nitrous ? Should work for most of one run anyway !! :p

cheers
Ed N.

Putting in a stroked engine is not going to affect the value in any way. It's still the same motor, just better. You can stroke the motor to 4.0 L without the extreme cost. Stroking the motor is a good way to dramatically improve part throttle driveability while lowering boost for reduced detonation.

That being said, 500 crank HP is pretty tough to achieve. 500rwhp is about impossible unless you go for a turbo setup, which some people already have......

what anout DR. Freds idea of putting a 4.6 block in it? im surprised this wasnt mentioned already, my dad was talkin about doin it to his car the other night.

iam sending my sc back home in ms cause iam in the service. i have plans that will put 600 hp in the motor. i will port and polish the heck out of the heads. i learned that from my dad. and some other stuff i will let every body know , once i get that goal.

would the cobra engine fit in a SC? the new supercharged 4.6L one? i'd imagine it could, if it could fit a 5.0 engine... but i know next to nothing.

Find a wrecked 97+ Lightning, pull the motor. Then tear it down, put a twisted cam in it, ported& polished heads, higher compression pistons, aluminum connecting rods, High-Flow Intake, put a steeper SC turbine in it,and finally add some nice shorty headers. that would easily net you 500hp.

Thought that Lightning engine was too tall for the SC?

My goal is a driveable 400 rwhp, I'll let you know how close we get in about 2 months ;-)

Paul

Well just put a cowl hood on it or dont put a hood on it at all. Id rather it be too tall than too wide and it not be able to fit inbetween the shock towers.

Go big block

I have done this and it is a bolt in without ANY cutting needed. You can buy a 514 crate engine that is 500 horse at the crank. By going a bit hotter on the cam and intake you can bump that bad boy up to over 500 REAR WHEEL and still be able to drive it daily. Now if you really want to go just add a tubro or a blower to that big block and hold on for dear life... I know, I drive one of my big blocks at least once a week just to keep in shape......This is the best and cheapest way to go, and if you save all your old parts you can always go back to the 3.8 if you want.......Rich

500rwhp cheap

there isn't much of a way to do it cheap because everything i have evaluated will cost at least 10,000 or better but if you are good at working on your own cars and trust noone else to work on it like me you might be able to do it cheap or cheaper anyway nothing about these sc's are cheap and i think we all know that.any way on with the subject at hand i can't let all of my secrets out but here are a few, port and polish the heads to the max with the biggest valves possible and then find a cam to match,find some pistons that won't crack under any circumstances,and then figure out how to add a lot of boost which i won't tell you,but it can be done,oh yeah one more thing the cooler it runs the better it runs so powdercoat or ceramic coat everything that you can,not to jump the gun or anything but when i get done with my sc in about a yearish i will let you know everything i have done and it should be producing over 500rwhp and be the fastest sc on the road knock on wood:D

Back