Power Loss....running out of ideas....

unclenick

Ok, I did the search and here is what the car is doing. The car is an 89 5spd SC with 114,000 on clock. No white smoke, no water in oil, replaced DIS, replaced coils, replaced wires/plugs, replaced coolant temp sensor. Now here is the problem. The car does not feel like it has enough power, loosing boost and when driving car coming to a stop in neutral idle is around 1000 but when come to a complete stop the idle will drop to 750. The car has a 5% ud pulley and K&N(new), no cats or resonator. It used to pull almost 15 lbs of boost under full throttle now only pulls around 11-12 .

I cannot find any visible vac leaks, the car is not overheating but will climb to thr "M" in normal when sitting at light, otherwise when driving car is at "N-O" temp wise.

I guess I need to check for IC tube leaks and IC leak now. Other than this I am out of answers. Help me keep my sanity with this car!!!!!

so your power loss showed up after the work you did?
or it was there and you did the work to try and fix it?

checking for vac. leaks is definately the place to start

also a blown head gasket will not always produce white smoke

I think you have a vac leak, it explains for the high idle and loss of boost. And it most likely happened when you took apart the car to work on it, make sure everything is sealed good and all the vaccum lines are in place. Use rtv on intercooler tubes and sc top.

No, this developed recently. I did all the work about a month ago when I bought the car. It was fine until about a week ago when the trans mount bolt broke off in the transmission. I was able to tap the bolt out and that is fine but now you guys have me thinking about the IC tubes. I wonder if from having a loose trans mount if it has loosened the IC tube nuts and ruined the seal. I will check this out thinking that I have a vac leak. Let ya know, Thanks !

unclenick said:
No, this developed recently. I did all the work about a month ago when I bought the car. It was fine until about a week ago when the trans mount bolt broke off in the transmission. I was able to tap the bolt out and that is fine but now you guys have me thinking about the IC tubes. I wonder if from having a loose trans mount if it has loosened the IC tube nuts and ruined the seal. I will check this out thinking that I have a vac leak. Let ya know, Thanks !

Very possable.

Back