Can you re-key the ignition cylinder to accept a different key?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
When i bought my 94 apparently the ignition cylinder had been changed b/c there is a key for the doors and one for the ignition and thats it (i didnt even get a trunk key). I asked before and i was told i can re-key my door locks...but its a mess taking the locks out of both doors when instead i could just take the ignition cylinder out. Is this possible to re-key the cylinder lock to accept the key for the door locks? Thanx!

Normally the ignition cylinder is just replaced. You'd have to call a dealership/locksmith to find out if they offer a re-keying service. Honestly though, it's easier to change the door locks than take out and reinstall the ignition cylinder on most vehicles, and you might even need a special tool.

removing the ignition cylinder on 94-97 is pretty simple. about it being rekeyed, idk tho

Yeah, i dont remember what car it was...but i know i've taken an ignition cylinder out w/o much problem. I guess i can just make sure if its possible by asking a locksmith.

i had to take mine out when i was taking apart the console to get the gauges.. don't remember why it had to be taken out, but eh.. anyways, all you do is remove the shrouds around the steering wheel, and then just stick a pin in a small hole in the ignition cylinder, and then it just slides out.

I rekeyed my 94 using 1997 ignition, door locks, and trunk cylinders. The parts department at your dealership can sell you the packs of brass keys which you insert into the cylinder to rekey the lock.

Rich

ive rekeyed a few ignitions in the past on fords, and its not that hard of a job. you can get new cylinders from ford with new keys and wuold only take about an hour or so (at least thats the way it has been for me in the past) i havnt had to attempt it on a bird yet but i the process should be the same.

Taking out the ignition cylinder is simple. Mine broke on my old 92 base, so i took it out and was starting it with a screw driver for about a week until my part came in :cool: . Anyways, its a pretty simple job. The door locks seem like a PIA.

-Trey

Ok, so let me get some clarification from you guys that rekeyed the ignition. Do i HAVE to get a new ignition cylinder for this? OR can the one I have be re-keyed to accept my door lock cylinder keys. The one I have has absolutely nothing wrong with it...but i just dont want to carry two different keys for doors and ignition. So if its possible to re-key the one I have, its not hard at all to take it out.

i just bought new cylinders from Ford with a new key. A few of the ford dealers in the st.louis area have kits also so you can either set it up with just 1 key for the doors, trunk, and igniiton... or a 2 key system like we already have.

Actually i was told you can re-key the trunk lock with no problems so i was actually thinking of keying it to the ignition key...so i could just carry one key instead of two. Thats if I ever get around to keying the ignition cylinder to my door keys! hehe :D

Back