A/C delete shorter belt cut my lower rad. hose!

Jeremy_K

Hey guys. for anyone who has done the A/C delete and rerouted the serp belt over the tensioner pulley, I did this months ago and went to the 5 rib 55" belt. The other day the belt somehow cut through my lower radiator hose. there is about a finger's width between the belt and the hose when it is not running. my tensioner does bounce a little while it's running. could this bouncing be enough to deflect the belt up to the hose? i tried to get as much tension as i could on the pulley but the damn upper metal tube is in the way. i'm just trying to prevent it from happening when i get my gatorback belt soon.

I have the exact same belt routed over the tensioner and havent had a problem for almost a year now. Did the belt come off? How good is the tension, I know mine is tight as hell and theres no way it could hit the rad hose.

the belt hasn't come off at all. i wound up as much tension as i could get on it. it doesn't seem to be slack. does your tensioner pulley bounce at all? mine bounces a tiny bit very rapidly.

The tensioner should be maxed out all the way so it shouldnt move at all, my belt was very hard to get on also. i have to loosen the alternator and move it in a bit and then once i got the belt on i move the alt back so it would tension the belt. Do you have any pics of how the belt is run?

this is the best i can do for now.how did you max it out? i grinded the pins off the back of mine and bolted it on with the wheel all the way up against the upper radiator tube. that's as tight as i could get it.

Attachments

• kovacs7.jpg
    kovacs7.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 118
I never unbolted the tensioner and ground off the pins. I left it in its stock place and when you take the belt off of it, the spring with move the arm all the way out until it hits the stop. Notice how mine hits the stop in the picture.

Attachments

• p1010081belt.jpg
    p1010081belt.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 151
Randy N Connie said:
I cut and filed a slot in the alternator bracket.The alternator adjust
the tention on my belt.Not the tentioner.

RANDY
randy, do you have any pics of how you did it?

Back