91' SC Transmission questions......

91CaliTBIRD

My 91' SC with a AOD transmission is getting a full transmission rebuild, 2200 rpm stall, transco shift kit gonna be set to shift hard, Borg warner rebuild kit (apparently top of the line stuff). Anyone know about these trans parts and the quality of them? Also Lucas trans fluid and its going to be set to downshift at whatever gear i downshift it too nomatter what speed im at. So if im doing 70 mph and i throw it in first....it will go to first! Needless to say ill be doing a few spins if i do that. Whatever that feature is called ill have it. What do you guys think??? Also did these SC have a locking torque converter or non locking? The trans guy doing mine says it did have the locking and thats what he will put back in it.
Thanks

Last edited:
91CaliTBIRD said:
My 91' SC with a AOD transmission is getting a full transmission rebuild, 2200 rpm stall, transco shift kit gonna be set to shift hard, Borg warner rebuild kit (apparently top of the line stuff). Anyone know about these trans parts and the quality of them? Also Lucas trans fluid and its going to be set to downshift at whatever gear i downshift it too nomatter what speed im at. So if im doing 70 mph and i throw it in first....it will go to first! Needless to say ill be doing a few spins if i do that. Whatever that feature is called ill have it. What do you guys think??? Also did these SC have a locking torque converter or non locking? The trans guy doing mine says it did have the locking and thats what he will put back in it.
Thanks

Yea bro it is a pretty nice tranny there good quality and lucas oil and trans fluid..{best oil and trans fluid there is.oh and about the downshifting to first while going at a high speed i think that is not such a good idea u can down shift but not that low well u could down shift that low but u shouldent it makes the car suffer alot which what i mean about the car pretty much everything the tranny and the engine..yea they do have the locking torgue converter.. tell me the price for everything and il tell you if it is a good deal oh and what he is doing to ur trans is nice ur gona feel alot diff from what the car will ride.. well just tell me the cost of everything and il tell you what i think if it is a good deal. ur welcome

:cool:

91CaliTBIRD said:
Its a good deal, under $1100 ive got something worked out with him.

yea bro defenetly it is a good deal and it is worth it.if ya need anything else just send me a message or sumthing :cool:

Sounds like a nice set up. A locking converter is a good street setup. I have a non locking and my new converter will also be non locking since I am more into drag racing. From What I understand that is the big differance between the locking vs. nonlocking setup.

Where i use to live, there was a guy who had a 92sc and in his car his aod went 123D over D then n r p. He got it from mm&ff. i think the tranny is 895? or somewhere around there. Thats the one i'd like to put in my t-bird.

I would not suggest going to the hardest shift possible, it's going to get very annoying. Keep in mind that is will also downshift just as hard as it upshifts. The medium setting shifts hard enough to chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd with a locking convertor.

I'm not sure what your talking about on the shift thing, but dropping it from OD to 1st is a good way to trash the tranny and wreck the car, so I wouldn't try it.

If you really want something much better, skip doing the trans-go kit and buy a Lentech valve body instead. You will be much happier.

David

Thanks David, I definately wont shift it into 1st when im in 3rd or OD or probably even in mid 2nd. Im just trying to figure out what that mechanism is called that allows that. As far as shifting hard i appreciate the info and will tell the tans guy i just want it to chirp in 2nd and 3rd and not much more then that. How hard can that trans-go shift kit be set to shift? Thanks again!

I recommend the transgo AOD-HP kit. It has full manual control of first and second. The manual shifts are very firm ,but when you drive it in OD position the shifts aren't abusive.
Alan

Back