Best Exaust Setup

SickWhip

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering, I have a 94 SC Auto. What is the best exhaust setup without breaking the bank? I'm looking for a nice throaty sound, just enough to turn heads, no rice sounding. What do you guys have, and how much $$$ am I looking at. Like I said, nothing too expensive, just better flow, throaty sound. Right now, I have stock exhaust, Dynomax mufflers. Thanks in Advance guys!

Well..

Heres the scoop. I have a magnaflow resonator with 2 dynomax super turbos and it sounds great partly because of my ZR intake and the SC whine but.........anyways...it sounds pretty beastly and rumbles at idle like a V8....Any way you do your exhaust DO NOT eliminate the resonator. It WILL be raspy without it. I drove my car around for over a year like that. Wasn't very nice.

Geez, are you serious about the resonator???? I'm putting in a custom exhaust tomorrow-straight pipes from the cat without any resonator...its gonna sound mean but is it gonna sound raspy without a resonator?? Help!

i agree about the resonator. with the setup you listed, you should really get one. also if you're gonna do exhaust, get custom down tubes bent, because the section of pipe between the ex. manifold, and the kit, is the most restrictive area. so either buy hi-flow cats, or find a shop that will delete your cats and just put straight pipes through to the kit (i did). you'll really need a resonator if you delete the cats.

on my 94 i have straight pipes to a flowmaster force II kit. real quiet at idle, and on the freeway, REAL LOUD when you step on it. i love it.
-matt

oh and for price i spent about 400 bucks on the kit, and less than 100 on the install

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!

Hey,

Thanks alot for your input guys, its much appreciated! Maybe I'll go with the magnaflow resonator, into super-turbo mufflers. Once again, thanks guys!

having mine installed on 95 auto Saturday

Hi,

I am having my system installed on my 95 auto Saturday.

I have the Dynomax catback setup with Super Turbos, a Magnaflo resonator, and also SCP downtubes with high flow cats. You canemail me at "ccmcclain@juno.com" and I will give you feedback onthe sound and differences in performance noticed.

Chris McClain

cats?

I'm looking to buy high flow cats to do a custom exhaust...any ideas on brands and places to get a good pair of cheap cats?

Thanks!

High Glow Cats

Supercoupeperformance.com has them for $85. I think I saw a post on the buy/sell area listing some for sale by the way.

Chris

yeah

I have the dynomax cat-back kit. I need a resonator....I have the stock one on there right now and its quiet...I'm not sure if i should get the magnaflow....or the flowmaster res. What do you guys think....where can i get a magnaflow res.????

On my 90 I had removed the two factory cats and resonator and replaced it with a ypipe and one high flow cat..Wasnt loud at all

no resonator

I've got a no-cat system with 2 1/4" downtubes into a 3" pipe and then splits into two 2 1/2" pipes that go to Summit turbo mufflers in the back. I think it sounds fine.

I have a Magnaflow resontator with 2 Flowmaster 40 series and it sounds awesome...at high speeds the air whistles out the tailpipes :D

Resonator, Getting Technical!

An exhaust resonator is used in some exhaust stystems to change the tone and timber of the exhaust sound. The resonator helps reduce the annoying vibrations of exhaust gas pulses with a length of perforated tubing inside an expansion chamber. The exhaust gasses partially escape the tubing diameter through the perforations into the expansion chamber. In the expansion chamber, the exhaust gasses expand and change tone. When the gasses re-enter the tubing, they rejoin the exhaust flow and dampen the vibrations of the combined flow, creating a more pleasing sound.

Boomin' Boy...

Yea Bro, you can use whatever ya want to resonate the sound...IMOP If you have the money to do it, spring for the magnacore resonator..It has pleased a pretty large crowd of SC cats...You can find it pretty easy at one of the Sc performace pages for a 100 bux or so...Hope you find the tune you are lookin' for bro....

Cheers...

Back