Help car is heating up and it has radiator coolant

Darkbird

when i was driving to work in the morning i noticed that the temperature was high so i quickly stopped at a gas station and checked if it needed radiator coolant and it did so then i bougth about a galon and i poured it all in. after that i got back in the car and started it up the temperature went down to where it should be. after i drove about a mile it starting to go up and it was heating again.so then i stopped and put the car in park and see if it would cool down but it didint and then i just drove to work and left it there im taking it to a mechanic for him to check it out on monday.i dont know if it is the thermostat or what? i hope it is the thermostat. and after a little while it runs out of coolant again which it used to take alot longer for it to run out now it is running out of coolant alot faster than b4. i am worried that if the coolant is leacking or going into the engine i hope it is not of those.or that the pipe line is cloged. but i dont think it is that im not sure il just have to see what the mechanic says..i really do hope it is the thermostat and nothing else..what else do you guys think it could be..? well thanks again. sorry for such long thread. thx.. :(

The thermostat has nothing to do with your loss of coolant.
You either have a leak in the cooling system or your head gaskets are shot.

MIKE 38sc said:
You either have a leak in the cooling system or your head gaskets are shot.

yea i know it has nothing to do with it, but im not saying that i hope that the thermostat is messed up and not that the car is really heating up.oh yea and the loss of coolant yea it could be a leak but i dont think so im gona have to check on monday b\c's i dont have the car hear i left it at work.Anyways im monday im gona have a tow truck pick it up and take it to the mechanic.. Thx alot for your help.

Well I was just going by what you said in your post. You noticed your temp gauge reading hot so you pulled over checked your coolant and had to add 1 gallon of coolant. Theres no doubt your motor was hot being as it was 1 gallon low on coolant. Now the qeustion is, where did that gallon go?
Did you notice any coolant sprayed or dripping or anything under the hood when you opened the hood?

HG's

Both times that I blew my HG's, the overflow tank the normal amount of coolant in it. There was NO coolant in the radiator, but plenty in the overflow. Your HG's are gone, or you're spraying coolant somewhere. My bet would be HG's, cuz you didn't mention any cooland dripping off the engine.

68COUGAR

nope from what i saw there was no coolant on the floor or dripping i mean i dont think it was dripping im not even too sure of that b\c's it was dark but i dont think it was leaking any coolant and the container that holds the coolant when i poured the coolant i couldent really tell if there was enough coolant in there i dont think it is leacking i dont know il see on monday if it is or what is up with it.. i cant chack tomorrow or now b\c's the car is not at my house il tow it from my job to the mechanic to check it out anyways i need new altornator and new electrical engine wires and cables..but the thing is after i put in the coolant the temperature of the car was still really high it didint go down at all and i drove it for about 10 miles going about 50 miles per hour so i can get to my job..i dont think it is a problem with the coolant. i think it is the thermostat that is messed up or that one of the radiator coolant pipe is cloged.but i think it is the thermostat.. well i atleast hope it is and not sumthing else alot more serious..il just have to see when i take the care to my friend he will hook it up to this computer and right off the bat it tells you what is wrong with the car.. he is about 43 years old and hes been a mechanic scince he was 17..hes expensive but hes goood..il just take it to him on monday..for him to fix the car..well thx alot guys i appreciate ur help..

Last edited:
Slick 50

Slick 50 saved my engine both times that I blew my HG's. The second time I blew the HG's, I drove the car 10 miles with NO coolant. Let the car cool down, filled the radiator with water, & drove it back home. Again, no coolant when I got it home. Then the car sat for 2 yrs. before I got the money to rebuild her. When my (Schitt HOT) mechanic tore the engine down, there was NO damage to the crank, bearings, cyclinders, pistons, or rings. I think that driving an SC for 20 miles, with little to no water, makes a statement about how good of a lubricant Slick 50 is. I think that any organic oil would have seized the pistons in the bores, before I got her home.

Yes, I know that there are some well known people in the SC community that will dispute the value of Slick 50. All I can say, is that I think it saved my engine both times that I blew my HG's. I run a qt. of Slick 50 with Every oil change.

68COUGAR

BTW: I am in no way connected with the makers of Slick 50. This is my unsolicited opinion.

Post 1-
i dont know if it is the thermostat or what? i hope it is the thermostat
i really do hope it is the thermostat and nothing else..
Post 2-
yea i know it has nothing to do with it, but im not saying that i hope that the thermostat is messed up
Post-3
i think it is the thermostat that is messed up
but i think it is the thermostat
LOL- I'm not trying to be unconcerned about your problem, but simply found it funny that you are all hung up on the t-stat. As mike said in his first post-
Just trying to prepare you for the worst. I had the same problem as you before....Well I guess I have to tell you that now I have new head gaskets on the car.
Tom

Hey I still to this day hold out all hope when experiancing those symptoms that its something else, but it never is unfortunatly. I've changed many a sets of headgaskets and I still hate that job. LOL!!!.....but I keep hoping. ;)

Back