moving battery to trunk?

sabre81

I would like to do this.. i was thinking of getting a kit from summit. Any comments / suggestions?

thanks

I just purchased the Summit sealed aluminum battery box from Summit, nota bad kit, very nice looking. I have been told Joe Desilva of JP Performance up here in Canada that the Taylor kit is the best.

I liked my Summit kit though not too bad,I had to drill 2 holes in hte bottom for the threaded rod to go through so I could bolt it to the trunk floor.

I also ordered the battery cable kit, it may not be long enough for your car though, I have a mustang. its was barely long enough, the positive cable.

I also bought the flamming river kill switch but have not installed that yet, I need it for NHRA rules. :) I see if I can post a pic for ya of the battery in my trunk.

Found one, hopefully it will show up for ya! :)

DSC00688.JPG

What are the NHRA rules or good guidelines for relocating the battery to the trunk?

I here talk of switches with rods hanging out of the trunk etc.

Do people fuse the cable which runs up to the engine?

Does an Optima battery need to be in a box?

What about ventillation?

Where do you bond the ground to the chassis?

trunk mount battery

I bought the summit kit.
I used the battery hold down and the cables but I didn't use their box. the box takes up too much space. (I still gotta fit my mountain bike in there).

The cable is long enough. I routed it through the back seat on the passenger side and along the floor by the rocker panel. Then across the firewall in front of the passenger's feet then through the firewall just right of the center stack of the I/P. I ran it through the engine compartment behind the winshield washer fluid container and then to the selenoid.

Regarding NHRA rules on battery re-location:

From what I've seen at street legal events, the battery must be mounted solid with bolts. Also, an on/off switch must be mounted OUTSIDE the car where it can easily be turned off by a track official if necessary. The on/off switch must not only cut power from the battery, but also shut the engine off. Hope that helps.
------Dylan

From what I know you need a sealed battery box unless you run a firewall between the back seat and the trunk, if you have a fire wall you can run a battery open and just tied down.

Back