early/late return plenum differences?

tbird88

Glanced at a coupla return plenums the other day and noticed a difference in casting #'s. One started with E9S, other was F2S. Compared the livin' heck out've 'em from top to bottom and cain't figure it out. Could it be the early mold got tired and was simply replaced?

'bird

cougarsc said:
The only difference I could see is the FPR hose nipple is angled on the later ones.
The nipples were straight on the 2 plenums I compared, maybe there is a 3rd? Maybe one with an F3S or F4S casting # ?

'bird

Wynn, F2 would be 1992. Does that version have the opening in the casting for the EGR valve? 92 - 93 SC motors did not have EGR. Other than that, there really should be no difference.

cheers,
Ed N.

"Return" plenum EH! It might also be refered to as the "discharge" plenum up there in the Great White North.

'bird

tbird88 said:
"Return" plenum EH! It might also be refered to as the "discharge" plenum up there in the Great White North.

'bird

Wynn,

I think Ford calls it an Intake Manifold Adaptor.

David

Wynn what Ed is reffering to is that Ford uses the first part of its part #'s to tell what year the part # reffers to. For instance the 2 plenums you have were clearly made in 2 different years, but that does not mean that they are not the same part.
I ran into that back when I first got my SC. Another thing Ford does that confuses things even more is they change the #'s in the parts books very often as well, so if I understand that correctly guy's like ED actually have to cross #'s sometimes to even get the correct part #.
I'm sure Ed can explain it much better than I, but with that kind of parts system I can see why a good parts man is hard to find. He sorta has to be a code cracker.
You deserve a raise ED. :)

I have only seen two styles.It like cougarsc said,one has a straight
hose nipple and one has a 60 degree angle nipple for a vac line.

The plenums with the angled vac tube are not as good.I have
ran into 2 of them that the vac tube was loose and leaking
air.

The black XR7 plenums are the worst to work with.The paint is hard
to remove with paint stripper,& it will hardly come off by sand blasting.
They got super paint on them.

Randy

Last edited:
tbird88 said:

'bird

D'OH!! I'm reading return plenum, and thinking intake plenum obviously. :rolleyes:

I'll check tomorrow when I'm back at work, but I think the service part number for the return plenum was the same for all years.

cheers,
Ed N.

Service part number is the same for 89 - 93, and then 94 - 95 is different. I don't have the stamping I.D. numbers, but the 94 - 95 version would likely start with F4SE.

cheers,
Ed N.

Back