brakes are loose in calipers??

Thomas95SC

As some of you know, i've been having brake problems lately. I was outside yesterday looking at them again and decided to wiggle them to see if there was any play with the pads on the rotors. The front ones have some travel in them but the back ones sit firmly in place and do not move. I think I have found my problem. Also the rattling noise that is coming from my front end is the pads b/c when i apply even a little brake pressure, the noise stops when going over bumps. Is there suppose to be somehting holding them in place? Isnt there suppose to be a little brake pressure on them all the time :confused: ???

Thomas

Last edited:
The manual says for Rattle, Clunk, Knock - a series of sharp short sounds in quick succession.

Bent loose or missing components:
caliper support pins
pin bushings
inner/outer shoe clips or buttons
dust shield

I would check the caliper support pins. They might be loose.

It makes a loud sqeauling noise when stopping and the pads are bouncing around inside the assembly. I put plenty of brake grease on everything (except the rotors of course :rolleyes:.) Forgot to mention that.

Assuming you have the stock calipers - I would check the following:
Make sure the big spring clip is sitting correctly in the opening in the top of the calipers, this is the only thing that keeps the pads from shifting around. Also you need to use some shims on the back of the pads, even those self adhesive ones would help. Alternatively you can use the caulk type anti -squeel material (available at most parts stores). Lastly I'd check the security of the caliper pins & make sure they are well lubed and don't have any flat spots from being siezed in the past.

Back