Driveshaft & Halfshaft Questions & Opinions Wanted

LXSC

Well I now have a useable 5.0 L block that I'm likely going to be stroking out to 331 cubes. However I want my drivetrain to hold up to this combo and be able to for the occasional use of 200-250 hp shots of NOS down the 1320. I have an SC with 199,000 km that I'm using for parts. I will be using the rear end as well and I'm wondering what I should do for drivetrain upgrades. I want to spend as little as possible with the ultimate goal being 500 hp for the car. Do I need to buy an aftermarket aluminum driveshaft or can I just have this one speed balanced or anything else? Where can I find an aluminum driveshaft? Also, what about the half shafts? What are my options there? If I need to look into aftermarket products, where should I look? Thanks for all the help

The only thing I'm upgrading on my 93 SC w/347 turbo is the transmission/converter. The driveshaft and everything behind it will be stock.

David

ICIC Very interesting. So it's not imperative as long as I'm not constantly making 500 hp? Oh yeah, it's an AOD in case anyone needed that little bit of info.

I don't think it will have any problem handling 500 hp all day long with a properly built AOD. My 91 SC driveshaft and rear end is all stock except for the 3.73 gears. I'm luanching with a 100 hp shot of nitrous on MT drags and everything seems to be holding up fine.

BTW, I'm planning to make close to 800 rwhp with the 347 turbo car (also an AOD), and will let you know how well the stock IRS holds up.

David

Back