Sputter,Backfire,shaking,stalling.swaped Cam sensor and idle speed motor, NoGud WTF?

RedMosesSC

Greetings,

It all started a month ago, 93 SC Auto loosing power and check engine light, only 4 of 6 cyl fireing. Changed the Ciol Pack - Wires- Success.
2 weeks later rough idle on start, put in drive sputtering, backfire, shakes and stalling. Kept restarting in order to pull over to safety. SMell of Gas!!!!

Changed the Idle speed motor - NO GUD.
CHanged the Cam Sensor - NO GUD.
Computer not reporting anything.
Can it be the Mass Air flow sensor?
any other thoughts?

Myself and my Mechanic are stumped, we have gone through alot of problem solving but this has been the most difficult.
Daily NYC driver, Ive had this SC for 5 years (Tow it annualy). NO Kats or silencer. K & N, Dual Platinum Plugs otherwise stock drive train. Engine and Trans rebuild 30 k ago. 130K Miles.

Mean on the Highway!! Wen it Runs.

Last edited:
Im shure my mechanic has tried that, but i will run it by him. I may have even changed the MAF in the past, he swapped it so i think he would remember.

BTW changed the Koer pack as well.
could it be the DIS? thats gotta be expensive

Its got to be an eleectrial issue.
Ive put over 500 bukx of parts in this month.

Thank for your reply

if it is the dis try tapping it, when i had mine replaced you would tap it and the tach would go crazy and everything was goofy, but as to your comment on the dis module itself...yes it is expensive, unless you buy one used which i would do first. its around 500 bucks from Ford. good luck let me know what you find.

So where exactly is the DIS and what does it stand for?

One friend recomended changing the Fuel managment system all together.
anyone have any experience with HALTECH? expensive!!!
Anyone cheaper alternatives?
Any Ideas

Sputtering with Love

OH yea, that is typical DIS going south for the winter. That is exactly what my car did when it took a *****. Don't get aftermarket, they are crap. Went through 3 of em until I finally found a OE NOS part.

Its your DIS module. Its located on top of the AC compressor. They are tricky to diagnose, but thats your problem.

Nick

RedMosesSC said:
So where exactly is the DIS and what does it stand for?

One friend recomended changing the Fuel managment system all together.
anyone have any experience with HALTECH? expensive!!!
Anyone cheaper alternatives?
Any Ideas

Sputtering with Love

DIS = Distributorless Ignition System, means it doesnt use a distibutor to make the spark, it is that lil module above the ac compressor, that is gray and has two clips on each side of it, it reads crank and cam sensors and sends a signal to the coil pack which then sends eleecticity to each cylinder via high tension leads (spark plug wires) at the correct time.

you are better off sticking to the ignition and fuel system you have now, i beleive nearly ever top sc is using this system some may not be but this system is a good one just parts go out on it like everything else, many people switch igniton systems on other cars, but the t-birds are "special" and you will be just fine with your DIS system as is, just need to replace the module the way it is looking right now...hope that could help

Thanks for your help Yall.

I think the next thing im gonna try is the Fuel Pressure regulator, cause its a hellovalot cheaper than the DIS.

BTW-Spinning wheels has the OEM DIS for $279, but it says for 89 - 92 SC's, should werk on my 93, no?

I figured the Fuel system is beefed up, the only thing SC's share with the T-Birds is the Block and Body. I had no idea you guys are running the Stock SC fuel system, right on!!

DIS modules do not cost $500, if you payed that much for one you got bent over. Expect to pay anywhere from $126-$157 depending on how nice the parts guy is at the dealership.
Call 1-800-847-2047 and have them to transfer you to Dan Newman, tell Dan what you need and he'll take care of you. Dan is a very fair man and wont charge you anywhere near $500.

Your problem is not the FPR.

yea i took it too Ford ic ouldnt figure the problem out at the time, and all said and done it was 500 big ones and yea i got bent over and it didnt feel good... :mad: :mad:

RedMosesSC said:
Greetings,

It all started a month ago, 93 SC Auto loosing power and check engine light, only 4 of 6 cyl fireing. Changed the Ciol Pack - Wires- Success.
2 weeks later rough idle on start, put in drive sputtering, backfire, shakes and stalling. Kept restarting in order to pull over to safety. SMell of Gas!!!!

Changed the Idle speed motor - NO GUD.
CHanged the Cam Sensor - NO GUD.
Computer not reporting anything.
Can it be the Mass Air flow sensor?
any other thoughts?

Myself and my Mechanic are stumped, we have gone through alot of problem solving but this has been the most difficult.
Daily NYC driver, Ive had this SC for 5 years (Tow it annualy). NO Kats or silencer. K & N, Dual Platinum Plugs otherwise stock drive train. Engine and Trans rebuild 30 k ago. 130K Miles.

Mean on the Highway!! Wen it Runs.

After turning on the key to prime the pump remove the vacuum line going to the regulator and see if it is leaking. That may be where the gas is coming from. Also sometimes the injector will leak at the plastic point where it meets the metal part of the body of the injector.

Jeff

Thanks for the help Fellaz,

Everyone thought it was the DIS
Changed it
Still No Gud, WTF?
Trying the FPR and looking for leaks currently.
My mechanic is fed up
Im growing impatient

Could this be the end of my Faithful SC,
Daily Driver and weekend warrior for over 5 years.
Well see what happens after this next test.

As soon as i get the Cash i may get an 05 Krustang GT.
Luv that Neo/Retro styling.
We have limited options these days for American Muscle, Id luv to Further Pimp my SC but its got to reliable as well, at this point im paying as much in parts as a new car payment HAHAHHAHAHAHA.
Hate paying insurance and watching the car sit still.

Someone smoke their tires for me, its been tooooooo long.

Did you check the dampner bolt? sometimes the balancer (dampner) goes bad, when this happens the pickup for the crank sensor becomes erratic, sometimes the enginee won't even run.

Also check the firing order the Haynes manual is wrong.

It should be.

firewall
front of car

on the coil pack

NO codes at all!!!!!!!!!
Thats y its so frustrating
Swapping out parts that are still gud

Crank sensor i believe has been changed
Cam sensor deffinately.

THanks

did your mech. try to clean the throttle body? It says we're not supposed to spray stuff in there. The previous owner of my SC had the throttle body "cleaned" up for him, and it would have a rough start every so often. Usually a quick romp on the gas pedal would cure it.

My issue is beyond rough start and idle, it cannot be driven.
Shakes and ultimatley Stalls out wen you give it Gas, Drive or Reverse.
Im shocked that i have gotten so many replies but i still cant diagnose my issue

This Forum is great, ive been scowering SCCOA for years but i had no idea that the forum would give me so many of these helpful the posting.

SC lovers are Gud People!!
RIte On, RiteOn

Hopefully my Bird will fly over Gotham city again soon.

I had the same type of symtoms you are having .My solution was to reground the engine block to the frame .It seems the stock ground on mine was going bad so I just made another one to replace it ,all I did was buy a univesal ground wire (braided open type ) picked a mounting bolt on the frame and a bolt that goes into the block and it solved my stalling in reverse problem easy and cheap!

Sounds kinda like what mine did when the computer went fryo. I had to take it to the stealership and have them run the codes. They couldn't even get it kick a code back, so they replaced the computer. after that it ran like a champ. It also seemed to fix my cruise, which had all but stoped working. I also had to change the MAF soon after

Back