Looking for performance advice.

Nisan

I am looking for somekind of simple tune up advice or something? (asking people more knowledgeable in this area).

I have a 3.8 SC engine in an '86 Mustang. It runs ok, about like the 5.0 did.

I figured it would be faster. My brother had a '91 Supercoupe 5-speed and it would blow a 5.0 away. The engine I have is from a '90 AOD and it was a dog compared to the 5-speed. It would barely do a burn out whereas the 5-speed would be spinning good well into 2nd gear.

I tried to swap computers and the 5-speed box sputtered and spit black smoke...a LOT of fuel was being dumped... are these years compatible or do they use different air flow meters? Or was his 5-speed hopped up?

I have turned the timing up until the plug in almost hits the SC belt and it has continually increased in power so now it will spin a bit on a rolling start. Do I have to take the blower off to change the *dist* one tooth? (where should my inital and total timing be?)

Any Ideas on what I can do to grab some free or cheap HP is welcome, thanks!

hmm id start checking for vacuum leaks or a engine miss, i have a 89 AOD and i can smoke em up in no time

First of all I think you need to get some good manuals for the SC. You cannot manually set the timing on the SC engine by moving the CPS. There is only one correct spot for the sensor to be and has to be set with a tool or an experienced eye as to it's correct location. All of the timing is handled by the EEC or ECM as its sometimes called. So the only way to change timing is by a chip or tuner. BTW, a dyno tune is the only real way to fine tune as trying to guess is inviting detonation in boost. John

Back