Any AOD experts? lol

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
well, I found a monster post for the AOD and read several pages of it, and will finish it later, but I have a question of my own that may be answered a little more quickly! :D

I'm looking at a 92 SC (AOD) that I may buy. I have a feeling that the transmission may be having some problems, but I know very little about autos. First of all, the car's known history:

Salesman: Seems like a really nice guy, and honest too, not in a big business either. He says that he knows nothing of the cars history, but drove it from the place of purchase several months to a year ago to it's current location. He didn't notice any serious problems, but I'm not sure he paid attention either.

The SC: I noticed it in the "lot" at least 6 months ago, and didn't get a good look at it and realize it wasn't just an LX until a month ago, so I know it's been there for awhile, sitting, probably not driven much at all. It's only been moved once since I saw it. The battery was dead when I looked at it. Started up right away, and ran great for at least 15 minutes before driving. Noticed a few slight noises that were new to me under the hood, nothing to worry me though. 144k, asking $1500 cash

The test ride: I let the salesman drive it first since I usually play it safe when I comes to cars. When he put it in gear, I felt a slight shaking feeling in the drivetrain. He shifted into drive and crept out to the road, while waiting on traffic, it didn't shake, felt normal. He then pulled onto the road and mild-moderately accelerated, and the car felt like something was shaking/shuddering in the rear, and as speed built up it gradually got worse - felt like we were driving over a bunch of tiny little bumps. The shuddering was consistent, increased with speed, not RPM, the shudders didn't vary or change in any way, except with change in speed. It shifted into 2nd and 3rd seemingly normally, but I was paying attention to the vibrating rather than the shifting at that point. I also looked over and noticed that the boost gauge was at about 5psi, at around 50mph, but we weren't accelerating much at all up the gently sloped hill. About 1/2 mile down the road, he turned around, shuddering stopped while in the parking lot at low speeds, then the acceleration and rest of drive back to the lot was the same as before.

My question is: what are some ideas some of you AOD experts (in particular) think this problem may be? I'm not ruling out the rest of the drivetrain jsut yet either, the driveshaft and differential are suspects as well. It felt alot like the time when my friend's SC's driveshaft was loose, so that's on my mind as well. I just don't knwo much about the problems an automatic tranny can have, so any input is greatly appreciated. Is this easily fixable, or would trying a different transmission a better idea. (I do have an AOD that supposedly has a shift kit, but hasn't been driven for about 4 years)

anyhow, gotta run, so let me knwo what you guys think! thanks!

Matt

justa side note: I had a 5.0 do the same thing(not building boost though ;) ) it turned out to be a u-joint locked up.

I'm no AOD expert but it does'nt sound like its the tranny causing the vibration. Your description sounds more like drivetrain.(universals or tranny and or motor mounts)

It sounds like a u-joint or tranny mount. Southern Indiana...Near Louisville...Corydon? I am in Bedford, just south of Bloomington. I hope it is not the tranny, I may need your spare tranny :)
(See my other post)
Good Luck.
Randy

I'd check the tires first. As the bushings wear on these things they seem to like to wear the inside edge of the tire. It's hard to see that inside edge unless you get real low in the back.

I had two tires wear through to the steel on the inside edge yet have 5/32 of rubber still left where I could see it. This on a stock height car.

The things to check for on the AOD is the TV cable under the hood. Is it still attached to the throttle body and is the grommet still there that holds it to the throttle plate arm. If the TV cable is mis-adjusted it can cause the transmission to die rapidly.

Then check the performance of overdrive. Get on a highway and cruise, then slowly increase the throttle until it downshifts. Did it gradually increase in speed or did you sense it slipping?

If the body is in good shape and the brakes work well (key thing!) and the engine seems tight, offer $1100 and see if they'll bite. At that many miles the transmission is likely due for rebuild. But it could go a while yet.

good idears....

that universal joint idea is a good one....i like the thoughts of that ;) i need to drive it myself to get a good feel, but like i said, I like to play it safe with cars i don't know. The tires are brand new, and are apparently some high-performance generics by looking at the tread, i can't remember the brand.....

greenehoosier....i live in Palmyra, just about 10 minutes from Corydon....about 20 minutes from Louisville, maybe when weather looks better (SC season ;)) we can hit some car shows or something.

anyways, thanks for the replies, please if anyone has any more ideas, speak up! :) If I think its the tranny, I was going to offer $800 and see what happens....ya never know ;) it is a really nice car overall though....

Matt

Palmyra...I have been through there many times. Do you live right there on the main road? (50 or 150? I cannot remember) I think I remember seeing an SC or two on my way to visiting relatives in Corydon. Good luck.

I am with Mike I would check the tires first.Since you decribe it
getting faster with MPH and not RPM.

Even if It is somthing other than the transmissoin.I would plan
on replaceing the AOD anyway.

Randy

Back