Are Bad O2 Sensors BAD?

Bigme574

I am, well to put it bluntly...Lazy. I know my O2 sensors are bad, and I am feeling the wrath in the form of 12-16 MPG. Will running rich cause any permanent damage if I put them off much longer? I can get around to them by Wednesday, but if I can put off spending $80, I will do it as long as I can, especially since it is freezing cold outside!

Aaron

damn 12-16 thats bad bro, its will be well worth it to change em out, cause i get 15 mpg and u can check out my member page for my mods....and im no grandmadriver, and im pretty sure my timings off alil too. id recommend you do it wednesday, put on a coat and a hat, and grow a pair haha just giving you a lil sheit

Another way of looking at this ... I hope I figured this right

Assume on average good O2 sensor gives 20mpg, assume you are getting 14mpg on average now, assume gas is $2.00/g<br>
For every $2 you spend you could be getting 20 miles but you are actually getting 14...you are currently giving up 3 miles (.15 gallons / $.30 wasted) for every $1 you spend<br>
(x)*.3=$80, x=$266, at $2/g = 133 gallons of gas, at 14mpg = 1862 miles<br>
Assuming I figured this correctly, fix your car now and you pay for your sensors in the next 1862 miles ..... or something allong these lines anyway :confused:

Supposedly, a too rich mixture for too long can foul the cats. I don't know if that is a temporary or permanent effect or if running a fuel cleaner such as Berrymans through would clear it up. But when trying to chase down my P0420 code on our van, I've read that that can cause them to go out.

P0420 is a cat code and the way things are going, I'm getting set up to get worked over to have it fixed.. OBDII work is only supposed to be done by a certified shop (pricey). Its essentially against the law to tamper with (that means hands off for shade-tree mechs as well) the emissions. I'm starting to dislike OBD-II equipped cars. :mad: Unlike OBD-1 where all you have to do is pass a tailpipe test.

Last edited:
wow

i figured they would pay for themselves after a while, but in 1800 miles, that is quite ridiculous! Good news in the sense that they will be payed for in a few weeks of driving. Oh, and gas prices are around 205-210 in MD where I am. I usually always use Amoco...or BP as they are now owned. Gotta love terrific tuesdays! I save a whopping 80 cents on a fill-up from E! o well, I always use amoco fuels for the most part, I'll pay a lil extra for the clarity...

Thanks everyone,
Aaron

Back