Idle takes a few seconds to drop to norm.

MikeKanterakis

SCCoA Member
Hey guys, the idle on my '93 seems to take a few seconds to drop to 800/900 rpms after I shift out of gear when stopping at a light.

I slow down, shift into neutral, and come to a stop. The rpms hang out around 1500, then 1000, then finally drop to 8 or 9 hundred.

Any takers?

Well... that pretty much IS the details. In other t-birds, it happens faster. It's almost like something isn't actuating 100% as fast as normal. So, I was hoping to nip-it-in-the-bud. I was wondering if there was an electrical part that would behave this way when it's getting bad, but I've never experienced a 'slower' return to idle before.

On start up, I've noticed that it takes even longer to drop to 8 or 9 hundred rpms, but I was under the impression that that was part of the initial warm-up procedure run by the computer....

Otherwise, i'm just going to consider it normal until something "bad" happens...

Maybe i'm just being dumb. :(

Hmm..

My 1995 SC does the identical thing. When I come to a light and pull it out of gear, the RPM's linger for a while, fall a little, and then eventually settle where it is supposed to be. But my 91 SC does not do that (though the 91 is an auto). I took it to be abnormal but no one could ever tell me what they thought i might be.

Right, the other SC I'm comparing my "symptom" to is an auto as well. Maybe Ford could just bring back the MN12 platform, and then we could ask the engineers... or not.

Back