Powder Coating Removal

Car2n

This may be a dumb question, maybe not.
Some us have found out that removing the gray powdercoating from the intake or IC tubes can be a chore. Strippers will barely work and media blasting can be so intense as to pit the metal.
My question,,, Could the coating be "burnt" off using a torch or rose bud?

I've welded on many of those powder coated parts and here's what I've found works best. Use a torch(being carefull not to get the part too hot) and burn the coating until it turns dark brown and crusty then let cool. Once cooled down the burnt coating will brush off with a wire brush.

Car2n said:
.........Strippers will barely work and media blasting can be so intense as to pit the metal.
My question,,, Could the coating be "burnt" off using a torch or rose bud?

You've got strippers working on your SC???? I need to hang out with you!!!
:D

I use aircraft aluminum paint remover.Then bead blast.
Some parts I will sand blast before welding.

I have sanded some part just where I want to weld.
After welding the paint is burnt Its almost impossible to
remove.

Randy

I have had good luck with a high quality aircraft or grafitti remover. Be sure to heavily coat the part and cover it with plastic so it doesn't dry out. Do not let the stripper dry or the powdercoat will reharden.

I've got a few "extra" powder coated pieces here laying around. I'm going to try taking a torch to one and see what happens.
I'll let cha y'all know the results.

I bought aricraft coating remover at Autozone, & it worked fine. Spray it on, let it soak, & scrub it off with a sturdy brush.

Back