60k tune up?

bksho

Ok here is the deal, i just bought my second xr7 i sold my other one 3 years ago and had to get another one. It has 62k on it and its MINT ,Engine looks like you could eat off it and the oil was done every 2,000 miles like clock work.
I would like to do my 60k tune up soon and not realy sure that i could do it. I have done small work on my other XR7 when i had it and i Chaged the plugs and wires on my SHO but i not sure whats involved in this 60k tune up and what tools i will need and if i could even do it! Should i do it my self or Is taking it to the Mercury Dealer the Right thing to do if i dont have tools or sombody to help me. Also are they going to try to rape me at the dealer if i take it in to them :(

95 sho 5spd
89 XR7 5spd -62,xxxorg
89 xr7 5spd-sold

When I purhased my 1990 with 62K last year, I had everything flushed but the supercharger and engine. I did them myself. I also changed plugs and wires.

$70-90 radiator flush
$70-90 powersteering flush
$70-90 brake fluid flush
$70-90 rear differential flush ( I should have done this myself)

So you should be able to get by for under $500 to have all fluids replaced at a dealership. They probably wouldn't flush the supercharger, just top it off. That would be according to the users manual.

Not that Haynes is the final authority ....

You might also consider changing the O2 sensors

Attachments

• Haynes_Maintenance_Schedule.gif
    Haynes_Maintenance_Schedule.gif
    180.4 KB · Views: 66
Not exactly the same as the SHO 60K

I've got a '93 SHO, so I know where you're heading with the "60K" service. SC's don't require the same level of detailed service that you are used to with the SHO. Some things you might want to do are: plugs & wires, oil change (of course), tranny fluid and filter change (Auto trannies only), change the fluid in the supercharger, check belts and hoses, flush and fill the coolant system, etc. The SC is pretty much just your typical maintenance and tune-up. No valve shims, timing belts, cam seals, etc. etc. etc.....

I would not do a 60K tune up. There shouldn't be anything that needs replacing and letting someone change the plugs who isn't familiar with working on an SC will probably do more harm than good.

It probably would be a good idea to flush the cooling and brake system, but other than that I would leave it alone.

David

Yes the SHO IS a *****! to do the 60k glad i dont have to do that again,Well im going to do this my self after some thought , last time i changed my xr7 wires and plugs i had a hell of a time trying to reach plug 4# without taking the IC Tube off , i herd of people taking there a/c out for this any thoughts? Im checking all the fluids, and fuel fillter and go over belts and Flush my trans fluid/Cooling fluids as well. Its been sitting for a year or so it prob has them elc's in the cooling fluid. Has anybody used this Royal purple Lubericants ? any good i see Spinning wheels has a Package for sale.

Last edited:
Back