I finally got one! Now what?

AlanEdwards

Problems, Problems... HELP!!!

Hello all and Merry Christmas,

I've loved the SC every since it came out in '89. I saw the perfect SC back then. It was solid white except for the black body molding down the side that should have been white. Well, I found a SOLID pearl white 94 SC with 90K miles on it a month ago and didn't hesitate. Since then, the intercooler hose seals went out and I paid a Ford dealership $400 to take care of them for me. I have also replaced 2 belts (the main drive belt was fine), and replaced both engine mounts Thanksgiving weekend. What a job the mounts were, FREAKIN' WOW!!! And, I've replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor (it already looked clean as a whistle, but I sprayed it off good anyway with an alcohol based cleaner), and changed the oil just today.

Here are my problems:

1st: My airbag light started flashing 32 a few days after I finished the engine mounts. I had to disconnect the steering column to get to the left engine mount and I was messing with the steering wheel while it was disconnected and I think I turned the wheel one too many times before I put it back together, SIGH !!!. Well, a few days later my airbag light flashed at me once. Then the next day it started flashing the 32 code almost continuously. Then a couple of days later the cruise control didn't work, so I tried the horn and it didn't work either. I'm thinking it's the clockspring, and probably due to me screwing around with the wheel. What do you guys think?

2nd: Starting yesterday, under acceleration it seems to misfire / skip a bit. Even more so when under hard acceleration. And, the check engine light came on, but only for a couple of seconds and only twice. I'm U.S. Air Force and I had the guy at the auto hobby shop on base run a computer EEC diagnostic test on it and no codes came back. I think the plugs were changed at 60K but I'm not completely sure. I wouldn't want to "hunt & peck" replacing things like wires, plugs, etc., unless I knew that was it. And, I'd rather not take it to the dealer unless I have to. What do y'all think about this one?

3rd: I'm in GA and next month I'll be heading to TX for six months for school for the USAF. I was planning on pulling my bike so I bought a Hidden Hitch brand hitch for the SC. I was about to install it but then I read that Ford recommends never towing with the SC, for it could overheat. I was planning on pulling only around 1000 lbs or so. The trip is just over 1100 miles one way. The weather will be cold on the way out, but I'll be driving back about the 1st week of July, in the southern heat. What would you recommend?

4th: It's got a power antenna and the bottom most part of the telescoping antenna needs just a tiny nudge, then it will go down fine when the car is turned off or the radio is turned off. If I don't nudge it, the little motor will run and run for about 30 seconds, then finally stop. Is there something I can do besides replacing it?

Thanks for your patience and for any help and advise. Take care, God bless and Merry Christmas to all.

Alan

Last edited:
Well I know a LOT of things are "hunt and peck" on these cars... nature of the beast. My boost leak took numerous tries to nail down.

Considering how borderline the cooling system is in these cars, towing in that kind of heat could be bad. I don't know if leaving the A/C off and wiring a cooling fan switch in would help or not.

As far as the antenna, I replaced the mast on mine. It was a really easy job and I got it new off eBay for like $10 shipped.

First of all, very nice find! The car looks imaculate.

On the 2nd problem, change fuel filter and plugs and wires. Do not use Bosch platinum plugs. Those are basic maintenance issues with these cars and very common problems. A supercharged engine will be hard on plugs and wires. If it is missfiring due to lack of fuel, engine damage will result.

As for towing, you can tow with your SC but you must take responsibility for your actions. The car is not designed to tow and therefore does not have any protections built in for "numbskulls" who "hook up" and press the gas pedal. My recommendation is to keep cruising rpm's around 2500 and avoid using boost except for short acceleration periods. I have towed a small race car (2000lbs) cross country several times with mine even climbing mountains etc. Just watch the tach and boost guage and don't overload the motor. Don't be afraid to climb hills at 3500rpm+ and don't load the motor at all below 2000rpm. Running the motor at higher rpms will increase operating temperature's slightly. If the temp gauge starts to climb into the R-M range on your temp gauge, try unplugging your AC compressor clutch wire (small 2 pin plug next to the AC pulley) and then turn the AC on. That will engage the cooling fan full time.

As for the antenna, look for a slight bend in one of the sections. If you can see a bend, try straightening it and spray down the shaft with WD40. If that doesn't work then just replace it as mentioned above.

XR7 Dave said:
First of all, very nice find! The car looks imaculate.

On the 2nd problem, change fuel filter and plugs and wires. Do not use Bosch platinum plugs. Those are basic maintenance issues with these cars and very common problems. A supercharged engine will be hard on plugs and wires. If it is missfiring due to lack of fuel, engine damage will result.

As for towing, you can tow with your SC but you must take responsibility for your actions. The car is not designed to tow and therefore does not have any protections built in for "numbskulls" who "hook up" and press the gas pedal. My recommendation is to keep cruising rpm's around 2500 and avoid using boost except for short acceleration periods. I have towed a small race car (2000lbs) cross country several times with mine even climbing mountains etc. Just watch the tach and boost guage and don't overload the motor. Don't be afraid to climb hills at 3500rpm+ and don't load the motor at all below 2000rpm. Running the motor at higher rpms will increase operating temperature's slightly. If the temp gauge starts to climb into the R-M range on your temp gauge, try unplugging your AC compressor clutch wire (small 2 pin plug next to the AC pulley) and then turn the AC on. That will engage the cooling fan full time.

As for the antenna, look for a slight bend in one of the sections. If you can see a bend, try straightening it and spray down the shaft with WD40. If that doesn't work then just replace it as mentioned above.

Good info Dave, Thanks.

Another question about towing for you, regarding the tranny. Again, with towing around 1000 lbs or so, do you think I should switch the OD off or leave it on while on the interstate?

I'll try the fuel filter 1st on the other issue. Thanks !!!

Another question about towing for you said:
I tow a Hobie Cat weighs 400 + 400 lb trailer.
First tranny (Locking TC) tranny lasted 100k.
Second tranny (locking TC) tranny lasted 60k. (Probably bad rebuild)

In both cases, failure was due to worn out OD belt.
Do NOT accelerate to hard in OD.
Do NOT go over 5 psi of boost or the OD belt WILL slip.
I would definitely install a tranny cooler.
Staying in 3rd will get old. Just don't slip OD when climbing hills.

Now with Lentech tranny (non lock TC) no slippage at all up to 8 psi of boost, (I am going to push it any further) But ran hotter with non lock TC, so I bought Mike's Alum radiator.

Watch your temp gauge, and slow down if engine temp goes to high, use your best judgement.
Change tranny oil more frequently.
Check rear differential oil.

Stock fan control does not turn on soon enough, and EEC cuts it out after
40mph or 70mph not sure which. So check out http://www.dccontrol.com/

Last edited:
An idea about #2 above....

Today I noticed that when I press the accelerator pedal it wants to stick a little at the top. I know that this is a sign of the throttle body needing cleaning. Could this be causing my problem #2 above, do you think? Could it be presenting itself by starving the car of fuel? Also I noticed that the loss of power is almost entirely at around 4000 RPM's when accelerating. It is almost not noticed below 4000 RPM's. This again, tells me the engine is being starved of fuel. As I said before, I'm going to change my fuel filter, and I'm also going to clean my throttle body. Does anybody agree with me that the throttle body could be my main concern with that symptom (#2 above)? Thanks for any help, and your patience in reading my "book".

Alan

I might have this one!!

Had the same thing, almost jumped through a couple of stop signs. just pumped the gas.. lol.. anyways, look for the wireing harness around the blower, passanger side, make sure its away from the cable links.

Grant,
PS, very nice bird

I know this is an old thread of mine, and I think it was the very 1st from me. Anyway, I wanted to give you guys an update. And possibly help anyone that has the same problems.

#1: It was the clock spring as I had thought. When changing the engine mounts I had disconnected the steering linkage. I had messed with the steering wheel while it was disconnected and turned it too many times. Basically it broke the clock spring in the steering wheel itself. I had it diagnosed and replaced and all was fine.

#2: It was the fuel filter after all. I replaced it and all was fine. Thanks for NCREDSC for his advise.

#3: I made the trip with no probs. I kept it out of SC boost as much as possible and I made it without any probs. I may be installing a tranny cooler soon though, just to be on the safe side for when driving back to GA in late August. And by the way, it was more like 1800 lbs that I towed, not 1000 lbs. Thanks to XR7DAVE for his advise.

#4: I replaced the antenna mast and all was fine. I had to work with it a little, the one I found on eBay, but it was worth the $25 shipped and the time I put into it. Thanks to MTTod and XR7DAVE for their advise.

I hope this helps anyone with similiar probs. Take care.

Attachments

• 94 SC interior left.jpg
    94 SC interior left.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 94 SC exterior right rear.jpg
    94 SC exterior right rear.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 94 SC exterior left front.jpg
    94 SC exterior left front.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back