Smoking under Hard Acceleration

hytorksc

I just noticed this morning i'm getting occasional smoke (not alot of it, but enough for everyone on the road to notice behind me) only during hard acceleration, and it does not happen all the time. smoke appeared to be bluish in color, but definitely not black or white. checked coolant level- still full, checked oil level- still full.

whats also interesting about this is that when it smokes, it sounds like it's detonating only for two or three seconds, then it clears up while still accelerating hard at both part throttle or WOT.

i thought i had gotten rid of my detonation problems, but they seemed to have come back (or maybe conditions that influenced it had come and go). funny thing is that the car still performs very strong with no driveability problems.

and again, no fluid losses (coolant and oil), using exxon 93 octane, and I DO NOT HAVE EGR as someone insisted that i did before. My pcv valve is working (i think- it's not stuck or gummed up), and i verified and corrected any vacuum leaks i found.

The question is what would cause intermittent smoking (blue smoke) only during hard acceleration with detonation only while it's happening??

hytorksc said:
The question is what would cause intermittent smoking (blue smoke) only during hard acceleration with detonation only while it's happening??

Its most likely blow-by of the rings and/or valve guides. The detonation is caused by the blow-by diluting the A/F.

wouldn't blow by happen continuously if the valve guides or rings are letting that much oil burn?

idles perfect with no smoke, drive it lightly- no smoke, just get on it hard revving past 3k rpms and it lightly smokes/detonates for 3 seconds like 8 out of every 10 times.

Last edited:
More than likely the detonation is causing the blowby. The motor is trying to tell you that if you continue to allow the detonation its gonna bite you back by busting a piston or breaking the rings.

Thats hard to say because it could be so many different things. The tune slightly off, something not right in a combustion chamber or a whole host of things not mentioned. Eliminating detonation takes some serious diagnostics in some cases. I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I do'nt.

Back