Oval Outlet Blower Top

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
I'm looking at a front discharge blower top to work with a FMIC project. I was thinking about using 3" IC tubes but I'm worried about the overall height of a large blower top and raised intake manifold (1.5"). I really like the tops Jerrod is doing similar to:

customtop1.jpg

If this top had an oval outlet of similar cross sectional area to the 3" round you would pick up an inch of hood clearance. My thought would be to come off the top with oval tube then transistion to 3" round prior to the connection at the IC on the passenger side of the radiator.

If anyone has done this please share your experience. Also in regards to blower discharge plenum design, is there a certain plenum volume that is important or is this piece simply a transitional piece to the tubeing and therefore really an adapter and not a plenum.

Brian I am going to try and build a plenum with oval tube.
I have not found any aluminum oval tube.So looks like I
will need to fab my own tubing.SPIN TEC has steel oval tube
but no alunimun.

I had planed to try and use some pipe to bend the round portion
of the tubes oval. then weld together.

I looked around for aluminum cast oval tube from other intake systems,Like
stangs and lighting trucks.But they are high priced.

So I am still looking for material to use.

I want to get rid of my MP FMIC Tubes.I donot like the routing
of the MP ic tubes.

If you don't mind using steel tube for your IC tubes.You might try spintec exhaust.This is probably what I will use.

I think that by tapering down the air farther away from the blower hat.
By using oval tube and then tranition to round tubing would help the
air to flow easier.Have a oval tube match a oval blower hat,then a
90 degree oval bend going down and turn into a round tube to enter
the FMIC.I don't like how the blower hat tapers down on its exit.
With a oval tube shape coming out of the blower hat would be much
better for air flow.

I would like to make both IC tubes 2.270 ID. 3.000 OD

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Aluminum is not the ideal material for tubing anyhow. Stainless steel would be much better. Because aluminum transfers heat so well, it causes the entire tube to get hot where as stainless only gets hot near the heat source. For example, the outlet air of the supercharger and the supercharger itself is pretty much always going to be hot. With the mechanical connection that the stock IC tube has with the supercharger combined with the fact that the tube is aluminum, makes that entire tube very hot. However, with stainless only the part of the tube next to the supercharger need would get hot. The rest of the tube would maintain not more than (but probably much less than) 50% of the difference of outlet air temp and engine bay air temp.

Anyone who welds knows this to be true. Welding on an aluminum part not only requires more heat because the part sucks the heat away, but the total amount of heat (not temperature) that is retained in an aluminum part after welding is many times higher than the total amount of heat retained by stainless after the same welding process.

Eh, but I'm rambling......

Randy: We are definately on the same page here. You've described exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a fan of the MP tube routing either and if I can pick up a little hood clearance then all the better. I don't plan on running an A/C compresser so with some cutting on the jack shaft bracket I'll have lots of room for a tube on the right side.

I've located a source for 304 Stainless oval from Burns Stainless they claim that oval tube of equivalent area to 3" Diameter would measure 2-1/8 x 3-1/2. They also have oval-round transitions. I'm not overly concerned using steel as I would most likely get it chromed anyway. I was thinking aluminum in order to modify a stock blower top and maintain similar materials but I might just scrap that idea anyway, what Dave said about heat transfer makes sense as well so I might just be better off with steel.

I hope to come off the blower top oval and make a bend toward the connection to the IC, after the bend a connector then a straight piece with the oval-round transition and on to the IC. If air volume in the blower top is
not an issue I'll probably just make as smooth a transition as possible to the oval tube with a couple of guide vanes.

Last edited:
The reason I want part of my IC tube system to be aluminum tube.
Is because I have been kicking around the idea of double walled
IC tubes.I want aluminum tube so it will disapate heat.I plan to run
CO2 or simular type gas to freeze aluminum tubed chamber. Inline
with the IC tube system.

I want to have a air to air FMIC system for daily driver.And a gas
cooler hooked inline with the FMIC IC tubes.For racing.I might
even run the gas around the intake cold air tube,before exhausting
the gas on the front of the MP FMIC.

I may try water instead of gas.Or even all three coolant systems.

When I got my MP FMIC.I was disppointed on how much the
thing weighed.I been thinking of grinding it down a bit,& polishing
the tanks.

Randy

Last edited:
My plans are not quite as exotic, but that sounds pretty cool.

I'm gonna buy an IC core and build my own end tanks, not so much because I don't like the MP stuff but more "just because". I'm gonna try and maintain more space between the IC and radiator which should not be a problem without the A/C condenser.

Back