Check Engine light on, engine runs terrible

rrlcommish

This is an intermittent problem, but is getting more frequent. The car will drive like a champ, then all of the sudden the engine runs like crap, has no power, and the Check Engine light comes on. At first this would only happen for a few seconds then go away. Now it happens frequently and sometimes takes several minutes to go away. But when it does finally go away, everything is back to normal. What could this be? A sensor? Ignition? Please help!

My bet is DIS module, replacing that cured exactly the symtoms you describe for me. However it could be any of the "big three", DIS module, crank sensor, or camshaft position sensor. Good luck, John

If you have access to a paper clip, you can (with practice) pull the codes. Do a search to find out how. Or take it to Autozone and get the codes pulled for free. From what you describe, this could be the DIS which will show up as a "coil circuit 1,2, or 3 failure".. but its likely not the coil pack. The DIS switches the coils and it is what sets the code.

I agree, go to your local AutoZone and download the codes first. Anything noting "coil circuit failures" is most likely the DIS (as already mentioned), code "124" will most likely be the cam sensor statos (just the top part). You should take this top part of first anyways and, see if the pocket has dirt in it - sometimes just removing the oxydation will solve the problem. Finally if the tack is also erratic or it's hard to start sometimes, then it's likely the crank sensor. DIS' run around $200+, cam sensor stators about $30 (aftermarket - $60 at Ford). However, AutoZone should be able to get all those parts for you at decent prices.
Good luck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes guys. Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts have gone to the new code readers only now. They can only read '96 and up. Unless we've got connections, we've got to pay an hour labor to a tech now. Good luck.

Last edited:
AlanEdwards said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes guys. Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts have gone to the new code readers only now. They can only read '96 and up. Unless we've got connections, we've got to pay an hour labor to a tech now. Good luck.
Alan,

Thanks for that tip! Sounds like it's the DIS because I've already had the crank sensor replaced recently and the tach hasn't been acting up and it starts fine. When the crank sensor went bad, the whole engine just shut down and was a bear to start. But I might try Joisey Jim's suggestion and clean the cam sensor before I invest in the DIS. Thanks everyone for all the help! You guys rock!!

Back