Rplacing the HUB

MLane

I have a really bad clanking noise from the front driver's side wheel any time i hit a bump. i took the car to a friend's fiance and he told me its the hub. is the hub hard to replace? what tools would be needed to replace it? any help would be great.

Mike

94' SC

Bad hub actually usually means bad bearings which are part of the hub unit and cannot be replace separatly.

To remove the hub, take off the wheel, caliper and rotor. Remove the dust cap from the hub. Under that cap is a 36mm nut torqued to 250 ft/lbs. (Yes, that is very tight!) Remove the nut and then the hub slides off the spindle.

It may be easiest to loosen the nut with the wheel back on the car.

A new nut/washer piece (available from Ford) should be used for installation and retorqued to the 250 ft/lb spec.

Clanking in this area is more likely caused by bad bushings on the tension strut rod, lower control arm and upper control arm. I would be sure of the diagnosis before replacing the hub!

Well last weekend i changed the lower and upper control arms and the outer tie rod ends. The reason for this was i have a horrible shake when i apply the brakes. the rotors have been turned and those bushings were replaced and its still shaking really bad. Now i have this clanking noise when i hit bumps. I cant afford to have a shop do this stuff because they want to charge me a arm and a leg. so any suggestions would be great. Mike

Back