Anybody running 275/45/17's with 17x9's and Eibachs?

scbird94

Just dropped my 94 with the eibachs, and i have some money saved so am going to get some Cobra's over the winter, just wondering if anybody has run 275/45/17 with 17x9's and the Eibach 1.5 drop and how much trouble would this cause me in terms of rubbing, etc.

ALSO- Not quite sure if want 275/45/17 or 275/50/17, what do you guys think looks better? OPINIONS WANTED!

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

undefinedI have 275/40/17 on the rear and 245/45 17 on the front mounted on cobra 17x9's.With no rubbing problems.
scbird94 said:
Just dropped my 94 with the eibachs, and i have some money saved so am going to get some Cobra's over the winter, just wondering if anybody has run 275/45/17 with 17x9's and the Eibach 1.5 drop and how much trouble would this cause me in terms of rubbing, etc.

ALSO- Not quite sure if want 275/45/17 or 275/50/17, what do you guys think looks better? OPINIONS WANTED!

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

275/40/17 nitto drags on the rear and they rub on big bumps and the wheel rubs my parking brake cable.....i think my offset might be wrong on my wheels???

My 91 has 17" X 9" Dante Corbra Rs with 275-40-17 tires on back w/H&R springs (1.5" drop). Yes the outer edge of the tires will rub the fenders on big bumps or with people in the back seat. The rears even rubbed with 255-45-17s until I put air bags on both sides.

No rubbing on the front even with a 2" drop.

David

scbird94 said:

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

Neither of those sizes exist ... you're probably thinking of 275-40-17 as the other guys mentioned.

cheers,
Ed N.

scbird94 said:

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

I don't think you want 275/45/17s on the front. People have tight clearance with normal offset wheels around the 255/45/ mark. If you increase the offset, the tires might fit, but it will look goofy with tire sticking out the fender. Also, the tires might react badly in corners. Tires that wide are normally not recommended for the front of any car (except a race car) because they scrub so much when turning (ackerman). This has to do with the dynamics of the steering rack and is not something that can be adjusted with an alignment. Racecars' steering geometery is designed to account for this.

On the back, I would recommend going with a 40 profile and it should be OK. you'll likely have to zip-tie the e-brake cable out of the way. If you have good shocks on the back you shouldn't have any major rubbing issues. If you see marks on anything after going over railroad tracks, you can likely hammer your fitment issues away as they will be minimal. Just make sure you measure the offset or fit the wheels up at a tire shop.

If your want the tire diameter to stay close to stock, go with 245-45-17s on front and 275-40-17s on the back.

David

I'm running 255-45-17's on the front, and 275-40-17's on the rear. I've got the authentic '03 Cobra ('Stang bolt-circle) 17"x9" wheels, which have been machined to bring the offset a little closer to the proper T-Bird offset. I'm running Eibach 1.5" lowering springs. I've got a pair of AirLift airbags in the back for a little added insurance, but I haven't really had any problems with rubbing yet, and I have not rolled the fender-lips.

Cheers,

Sean

>...T-Bird offset...<
Sean, what is the offset? Backspace?

What did kind offront spindles? hubs? & brakes? Did you use.
How did you convert the rear?
Thanks,
Chris

sail7seas said:
>...T-Bird offset...<
Sean, what is the offset? Backspace?

I'm not sure what backspace. I think the stock T-Bird offset is somewhere around +36mm.

sail7seas said:
What did kind offront spindles? hubs? & brakes? Did you use.
How did you convert the rear?

I ended up swapping in a pair of the late style spindles. I upgraded to the Lincoln Mark VIII front brakes, which required that I have the rotors redrilled for the studs of the 'Stang front hubs. I bought a pair of the special brackets off Ed Nicholson, and upgraded the rear brakes to the Cobra 11.5" rear rotors, with '99+ Cobra rear hubs, and stock SC rear calipers.

As far as the bolt circle swap is concerned, Doug F. wrote a very nice technical how-to on it. I'm not sure if I've still got a copy of that kicking around here somewhere, but you could probably find it yourself via a search over on the TCCoA, or here on the SCCoA.

Cheers,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
I'm running 255-45-17's on the front, and 275-40-17's on the rear. I've got the authentic '03 Cobra ('Stang bolt-circle) 17"x9" wheels, which have been machined to bring the offset a little closer to the proper T-Bird offset. I'm running Eibach 1.5" lowering springs. I've got a pair of AirLift airbags in the back for a little added insurance, but I haven't really had any problems with rubbing yet, and I have not rolled the fender-lips.

Cheers,

Sean

With 45's in front and 40's in the back isnt that creating a weird angle? Not sure if that big of a difference but wouldnt you want the taller tires in the back?

Dylan Roth

The second number in the tire size, the aspect ratio, is the height of the sidewall expressed as a percentage of the section width. So a 245-45-17 ends up being almost identical in overall diameter to a 275-40-17 ... because you're comparing 45% of 245 mm, to 40% of 275 mm.

Check out this tech article on the Tire Rack site for a full explanation of tire sizing:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size_information.jsp

cheers,
Ed N.

Back