AOD tech questions

SilverFox

I have built a few AOD's but I don't consider myself an expert by any means, if you folks have any insight I would appriciate it.

I installed a Buemann shift kit a few months back. I love it. I am getting ready to swap gears in the car (1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC). I rebuilt the tranny with Kevlar clutches, Kevlar Band, and 2500 Lock up stall, and did the shift kit in a "NEW" Ford VB at about stage 2.5 - all this at the same time. Still have stock 5.0HO.

As I mentioned I am going from 3:27 gears to 4:10's. Currently I have a few different things I would like to change about the shifting even before the gear swap....so I would like to know how the gear swap will affect these "shift characteristics."

1) I would like to know how this will affect the current settings in general with I have the VB set at? Will it feel as though it shifts sooner, or softer - maybe harder? That is just one thing I would like some insight on before I swap the gears.

2) Since the rebuild, the rear control arms have been beat to death! The bushings are shot and the whole shift feel lately has been sloppy and not near as tight as it was a few months ago. I have contributed this to bad bushings. I have not put more than 5000 miles on the rebuilt tranny. I have the shift kit set at 2 - 2.5 with the harshness and the shift happens at WOT around 4800. I hope new poly bushings in the rear will solve the not so tight shift - it used to bark the tires...4000 miles later, it no longer is. Why? Could the bushings be that shot, there is enough play in the rear it will not feel like it is shifting tight?

3) Now that I have mentioned the Shift characteristics I used with the kit, how will these settings be affected how the 4:10 gears feel?

Here are some of the things I would like to change about the shifting:
4) I am sure folks ask you about this alot, Overdrive shift is pretty hard. I was not expecting OD to come in so hard. I did not mess with the OD shift from what I remember. Does a harsh OD shift hurt the tranny?

5) My biggest question, In general the DOWN shifts do not shift HARD enough. If you are in 3rd, mash it, 2nd comes in soft like factory. Same goes for 2nd to 1st under power. I would like to know how to increase both the SPEED and HARSHNESS of the downshifts.

6) The car right now will hold 3rd quite well, problem is - it takes alot of peddle to jump down to 2nd. I would like 2nd to come in faster when I push the peddle. I don't want 4th to shift down any faster right now......I am scared that after the 4:10 gears go in I will want it to hold OD more, instead of ramping the RPM to catch 3rd just to pass a slow moving bus!!

7) last thing. 2nd gear feels like an intermediat gear. It doesn't hold out in the RPM as long as 1st does and it shifts TOO EASY into 3rd. Is there a way I can modify the VB to help hold 2nd longer at WOT (without doing the 1-D-1 sufflle)? Is there a way I can make it not shift to 3rd so easy.....hold 2nd at light throttle?

I know the workings and have rebuilt a few AOD's. I just finished a LENTECH Street Terminator for my friend in his T-Bird SC. Maybe you folks can help. I as mentioned above...I know my way around an AOD pretty good - just need a little guidence into the technical side.

-86TRX250R- DixieLand Raider
-65 FORD F-100- Green Abilene (custom)
-90 Silver Bullit LSC- APC Cold Air, Dominator Jr. AOD, Baumann II.5, 2800 PATC Stall, 3" MAC Pro Chamber, MSD, NGK, ACCEL, GTS,
(2) 12" AudioBaHn, Clarion, RED lite DIAMONDplate interior

SOON TO HAVE 4.10's, PanHard, HPM Lowers, new air ride, TC front bar!!

Back