Cooling trouble ( after head gasket change)

V8LTD

Here's the problem, I just changed the head gaskets. Brought the heads to shop for checking and all that other good stuff that needs to be done.

- What does the small tube that goes behind both heads carry? oil or water? What does it cool? Would a small kink in it affect temp alot?

I just finished the heads and this is the first time i started it ( i brought the car with blown heads long story ).

Heres what happens, I start the car all is well. The temp climbs pretty fast but the fan never turns on. on the dash a light that says check gauge comes on. After a while both the temp and the gauge to the far right are maxed out. Then the car shut off and cranked but would not start again. ( computer shut it off ). I changed the thermistat ( installed it correctly ), its got water, and the fan inside was on to help bleed system. The upper radiator hose never got hot. It looks like the engine isnt even really hot, there was no great deal of heat coming from the engine. Whats further strnage is that when the engine was one and still only half way up on the temp gauge i turned on the lights and the gauge ( temp ) went up even faster.

Also: When the engine was alreay at hot i unplugged the intake sensoer and the fan turned in. I dont know how fast it was turning all i know is that it wasnt enough or maybe it was just to late.

Any ideas????? What tells the fan to turn on? is it the two sensors, on intake and right at the stat, or is is a relay or what? If its really over heating then its because the fan doesnt turn on. but why?

The intake sensor is $50 so i only want to but it if needed.
What does the intake sensor do?
what does the one at the stat do?

help please

Last edited:
sounds like air still in the system ....fire her up and turn the heater on ..feel for hot air coming out ...if it cycles ..hot then cold ...then hot ...cold there is still air trapped....there is a bleeder screw[bolt] .. on top of motor right by the snout for the super charger ....it takes abit to fill the coolant system opening and closing the bleeder bolt ....dave

I changed both sensors, the one at the thermistat, and the one at the intake. I put a 160 thernistat in there once i know wasnt the best idea but i did. So know what happens is that it takes the car a really long time to warm up. So long that i dont even know if its possible ( well it is winter here now ). After about 12 miles of city/highway driving its still only half way and the fan had not turned on yet. It got up to 3/4 and the fan didnt turn on yet. Y?

When i changed the sensors i took the battery off all night. and still not fan. it works i know because if i take the one off the intake the fan will spin. whats happening. Can any one help?

Back