master cylinder swap for big block

blowmyv6

My 89 has been sitting for awhile since it is not my daily driver anymore (bought a WRX), and I have been thinking about what direction to go for more power and have decided to go big block. A friend of mine is selling me his '69 block 460 out of a Lincoln. I have been reading all I can find on the swap and they all say I have to offset the engine a little to clear the master cylinder.

I guess the question is, is there a smaller Teves Mark II system I can swap to that will clear the motor? I want to keep ABS. Or is there any other way I won't have to set the motor off-center?

Get ahold of pro steet rich. He`s always on these boards. He is the master at this and will help anyone out.

Welcome To The Cosmic Club

blowmyv6 said:
My 89 has been sitting for awhile since it is not my daily driver anymore (bought a WRX), and I have been thinking about what direction to go for more power and have decided to go big block. A friend of mine is selling me his '69 block 460 out of a Lincoln. I have been reading all I can find on the swap and they all say I have to offset the engine a little to clear the master cylinder.

Keep the valve cover style you have ,loosen up the master cylinder from the firewall ,it'll give you a inch or two .Your stearing control and pump can be switched if you find a good 3 hole bracket .Put the engine and trany in together ,use the tranymounts ,But spin the crossmember around and it goes right in .
I'm tring to keep it under the stock hood and that is really hard, so just get Rich to get mounts and get a cowl for the hood,and make shure the trany gear ****ch is pionted down in park,speedometer gear goes right in.You drive it a little bit and you'll shoot the WRX like old yeller.

Yeah I'll probably just offset it. My first thought was to use the master cylinder from a newer sc until I realized it was an entirely different system. Oh well, I sent pro street rich a pm so we'll see how it goes.

Its either that or just forget the ABS and get a different master cylinder. Is there anything besides anti-lock that I'd lose by getting rid of that assembly? (variable ps, ride control, etc...)

I am not sure about the year,but I beleive Mike38 said that a
mastercylinder from a 89 mustang could be used.

You might want to ask him about a smaller master cylinder.
Randy

Its either that or just forget the ABS and get a different master cylinder. Is there anything besides anti-lock that I'd lose by getting rid of that assembly? (variable ps, ride control, etc...)[/QUOTE]

I would really keep the A.B.S , because the real pain will be the headers , the rest off the 460 swap will be easy.
Besides , if you use a fox body brake system ,it has 4 bolts. And if you plan on doing a templet you may as well use a Hydro-boost and you will not need to offset the engine as much.Vacuum brakes suck if you like driving fast any way.And you 'll need to get a 94 and up heater core too.

Back