No Clutch strenth and No fluid when bled

1QuikV6

before i went to bleed the cylinder I had SOME clutch power. I got under the car, unscrewed the bleeder and got a dribble of fluid, thats all. I filled the reservoir and began pumping but all i get is a squishing noise of air. How do I go about refilling this thing properly??? HELP!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Its just like the master cylender for the brakes. You need one guy to push the peddle and one to loosten the bleeder. Just tighten the bleeder before you let up on the peddle. Oh and keep the tank full. 10 x should do it.

Well as soon as dad gets here Ill stick him under the car for the dirty work. ha ha ha How much fluid should this thing hold?

It dont hold much so after about 5x refill. My son dose that to me all the time. He says he not sure what hes doing. ya right. good luck

Well after a few times I got a steady flow of fluid and i drove it to a friends in Northern Va for a test ride. This morning the pedal was back to the floor until I let it run and pumped it. No idea why it does that overnight. If it sits for 12 hours or so it will loose its prime.

The master cylinder for the clutch is shot, get a new one before your next crash is very serious! The next thing you run over just might be a loved one.

Sounds like the slave cylinder is leaking - check for fluid under the car first thing in the morning. You should see it coming from under the bottom of the bell housing. I would also pull back the carpet from behind the pedals and check to see if maybe the master cylinder is leaking - you will see a fluid trail from where the pedal rod enters the back of the cylinder thru the firewall, if it is. I hope for your sake it is the master cyl. because that you can replace relatively easily. If it is the slave cyl. then the trans & clutch have to come out. Last winter on my '93 the same thing happened, as soon as the weather got colder. I think the slave seal stiffened up with the cold (car left outside) and first thing in the morning it would dump the fluid and leave me with no pedal pressure. As soon as I topped off the reservoir it would be good for a couple of days at a time. After a couple of weeks I had to drop the trans & replace the clutch - which wasn't so bad considering it was the original with over 200,000m.
Good luck.

Well I pulled the rubber boot off of the housing and it travels fine and I dont see any fluid under the dash under the carpet so I dont know where it is going. Im pretty positive its leaking on the other side of the firewall... How much do i have to remove to get the clutch cylinder? Looks like a tight squeeze. Im going to call and order it tonight.

If you see fluid on the engine side of the firewall and no leak inside, where the clutch pedal rod enters the back of the master cylinder - then I would guess that you have a leaking hose between the reservoir & the master cylinder. Take a look with a small inspection mirror, you might just be lucky. If you have to change the master cylinder it is a bit tough to get at, but a lot better than having to drop the trans. I think I paid about $90 for mine at AutoZone
Good luck.,

CarQuest wants 107 for the cylinder and 130 for a *&%# starter just because its an SC. The LX starter is a measly 54 bucks... :mad:

The starters are the same because I used a new one from a 89 5speed in my 94 auto. Last week I checked on a starter at Napa for my 93 lx and they quoted me $128.00. The master is not to bad but you need to rotate the thing 90 degrees after you get the clip undone from undr the dash as I remember.

This was 130 buck with core exchange. The LX starter was 54 with core exchange. So I can go over and spend less than half and use the LX starter... awesome

Here`s what I do. Take the starter out and take it with you to the auto parts store to match it up. The cheap starter dosn`t sound right unless it made in taiwan :D

You get gouged on alot of replacement parts simply because of the SC in the part description. Front fenders being a prime example, there are 2-1/8" holes in an SC fender that you can drill into a LX fender very easily. Ford charges you $257.00 extra for those 2 holes. Thats just 1 example, sure there are parts that are SC specific however there are alot of parts that are the same as the LX only the # in the book and its description (SC) are different, and of course there price is at least twice the LX part.

Back