EEC swap

ShawnSC1

Ok heres the deal. I have a 90 3.8 S/C, AOD and has the EGR valve. Now my problem is nobody has an EEC that I need. The only one that I can get is for a 90 3.8 S/C, AOD without EGR valve.

So that means I will have to delete the EGR valve in order to do this swap. Can this be done. Do I have to change wiring harness, and is the wire harness going to the EEC the same wires for both EEC. Reason why I am asking is because I don't want to blow the new EEC. I ran into this problem before, while I was trying to hook up a manual dash. The wiring in the auto and manual are different. So when I hooked it up and started the car I got nothing. Then I played around with the red/blue IGN. wire, it started. Thats how I think I blew the current EEC.
What I am getting at here is.. The EGR valve wire going to the EEC. Would this wire be blank if there wasn't an EGR valve ect..

Don't know if I can help on the swap, but I can tell you that generally the wiring harness for a non EGR equipped car would still have the connector in the engine compartment, so the wires going to the EEC should still be there. Maybe someone can get the part # off their 5 speed EEC and you might be able to pick one up from a seller here. Check the classifieds here or ebay.

ShawnSC1 said:
Ok heres the deal. I have a 90 3.8 S/C, AOD and has the EGR valve. Now my problem is nobody has an EEC that I need. The only one that I can get is for a 90 3.8 S/C, AOD without EGR valve.

So that means I will have to delete the EGR valve in order to do this swap. Can this be done. Do I have to change wiring harness, and is the wire harness going to the EEC the same wires for both EEC. Reason why I am asking is because I don't want to blow the new EEC. I ran into this problem before, while I was trying to hook up a manual dash. The wiring in the auto and manual are different. So when I hooked it up and started the car I got nothing. Then I played around with the red/blue IGN. wire, it started. Thats how I think I blew the current EEC.
What I am getting at here is.. The EGR valve wire going to the EEC. Would this wire be blank if there wasn't an EGR valve ect..

So unplug the EGR.

XR7 Dave said:
So unplug the EGR.

Wow that is some good news.. I think I might give this a try. I will install the EEC from a 90 AOD without an EGR valve and just unplug the EGR valve. So from the motor wiring harnness it goes right to the EEC correct.

Update

Well I pulled the old EEC out and figured I would try the EEC without EGR valve. I then installed the EEC and then went to plug the main harness in. Then next I couldn't plug it in.
Ford got smart and put ridges in different spots on the main harness for different EEC's. Well I guess thats good to know.
Also I couldn't find the family code and think I got the wrong code (A9Z2) off another user. He had the same options as mine..
Heres what I found on it.

90D1 2004 (GTE)
E9AF 14A624 AA
------------------
EEC SF1-MA13
F0SF-12A650-ZA
60SM13AF10 18201-25
0B05 X0T

I noticed the X0T was on another location, on the EEC. Maybe thats the family code. I have no clue on what those codes mean.

Back