Chances against a GMC TYPHOON...

darkstar_one

yo what are the chances of my SC beating a GMC TYPHOON, the Typhoons have a 4.3L TURBO CHARGED V6 pushing 280AWD HORSES, and 350LBS of torque? My friend bought one and i wanna see if i have any chance in hell of beating it... I read a lil article that some can run in the HIGH 13s coming out bone stock. So anyone wanna pitch in here?

i think you may hang with him and may even take him off the line. Im not real sure but i say go for it if you lose make up some excuse like my air filter need to be cleaned and my car is running bad right now. :D LOL :D

LostDreamer said:
i think you may hang with him and may even take him off the line. Im not real sure but i say go for it if you lose make up some excuse like my air filter need to be cleaned and my car is running bad right now. :D LOL :D

nah, if i lose i will give him props for having a rare *** truck, i havent seen a typhoon anywere in LOS ANGELES, if i would lose i will buy him TACOS, and give him the props he deserves. He isnt challenging me or anything, were not like that, we all got american cars, and we are gonna challenge some import losers down his street, we call it the AMERICAN MUSCLE vs. JAPANESE BRAINS challenge... they all drive HONDAS HATCHBACKS 1991's thinking they are fast. Wait till they see a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL in action.

..not too good.....they are very quick....with my old setup I was pushing 240 rwhp 340 trq and I got walked on by one.....all I could do was hang at his rear bumper and was lucky to do that.Wish I could find him now....he still might out run me but hopefully I would give a better showing.
z

hell race him just for the hell of it win or loose than challenge those honda racers. i hate hatchback they are so small and they bug damn buggers beat them for me i dont like hondas.(period)

he'll beat ya most likely, unless somethings wroing with the truck, they are quick lil buggers and with the awd that really helps

by the way GMC really stands for:

Gay
Mans
Chevy

Not much of a chance here....

Those GMC Syclones and Typhoons are pocket rockets from H E L L. It is rare that you see one these days. If I had one I would definately keep the thing up and not drag race it in the streets. :rolleyes:
They were definately capable of the high 13's and did not have too many issues hooking up with AWD. :cool:

Last time I was at the track I witnessed one click off a 12.42 in the quarter.

dirtybird91 said:
Those GMC Syclones and Typhoons are pocket rockets from H E L L. It is rare that you see one these days. If I had one I would definately keep the thing up and not drag race it in the streets. :rolleyes:
They were definately capable of the high 13's and did not have too many issues hooking up with AWD. :cool:

Last edited:
You'll be keeping it up alright, but because somethings broken 97% of the time, not because you want to keep it nice. I posted in another thread in here recently about my friend's 93 ty which is an exemplary pile of crap. He still loves it even though he's probably only been able to drive it 6000-8000 miles in the 3 or 4 years he's had it. Not to mention the fact that he has over 20 grand sunk into it.
You can bet you'll lose to the Ty, although when racing a GM product you must facotr in whether it will a) make it all the way thru the race and b) be drivable afterwards. If you want to see the pile of crap blow up, by all means, race him.

dirtybird91 said:

If both the Typhoon and SC are in a good state of tune, I'd say the Typhoon is going to win. You might fair better from a rolll instead of a dig being that the Ty has the obvious advantage there w/ the AWD.

I lined up next to a Typhoon at the drag strip and it ran a 13.1?? I talked to the owner later and he claimed it was totally factory stock. Don't know if it was or not but I do know it was quick. :eek:

Jimmy 2Coupes said:
I lined up next to a Typhoon at the drag strip and it ran a 13.1?? I talked to the owner later and he claimed it was totally factory stock. Don't know if it was or not but I do know it was quick. :eek:

This quote was taken from a Sy/Ty FAQ.

"To be more specific, stock Syclones will run from 13.4 to 14.3 in the 1/4 mile, and Typhoons will run from 13.8 to 14.7, depending on the day's weather and the tuning of the vehicle. 0-60 Times for the Syclone and Typhoon vary from 5.0 to 5.5 seconds. These kind of times made the Syclone and Typhoon the fastest production trucks in the world. They handle pretty good too, pulling about .8 g on the skidpad."

The FAQ is located here. http://www.syty.org/old/faq.html

xr7rocket said:
You'll be keeping it up alright, but because somethings broken 97% of the time, not because you want to keep it nice. I posted in another thread in here recently about my friend's 93 ty which is an exemplary pile of crap. He still loves it even though he's probably only been able to drive it 6000-8000 miles in the 3 or 4 years he's had it. Not to mention the fact that he has over 20 grand sunk into it.
You can bet you'll lose to the Ty, although when racing a GM product you must facotr in whether it will a) make it all the way thru the race and b) be drivable afterwards. If you want to see the pile of crap blow up, by all means, race him.

I hate these kind of posts, come on I love SCs, but to own one and call something else a POS is, umm wrong LOL. I could say you could race a Typhoon but what's the chance of you making it through the entire race without your headgaskets blowingor dropping your transmission everywhere..... Yes, they are very mainenenct extensive vehicles, but about ANY performance vehicle is.

They tend to be quick of the line then peter out..

He will dog you off the line..If its stock and your stock...He will beat you

So if you do race..Make sure its at least 1/4 mile..No less

Stewie said:
I hate these kind of posts, come on I love SCs, but to own one and call something else a POS is, umm wrong LOL. I could say you could race a Typhoon but what's the chance of you making it through the entire race without your headgaskets blowingor dropping your transmission everywhere..... Yes, they are very mainenenct extensive vehicles, but about ANY performance vehicle is.

I agree. People say the same thing about SC's. "I have a friend..." Just because one had problems doesn't mean they all will. Every SC has blown it's HG's too, according to the rumors. I agree that being based on that gen of S10 isn't a great thing, but most people that I hear of running into problems do so when they start modifying them. It also depends on the mileage and previous life the car/truck has had at this point, since they're all used now. Just like SC's, Grand Nationals, RX-7's...

Back