what I saw 2day - good/bad news - *pics

tbird88

I got good news an' I got bad news. First, the good news...

Fella stops by the other night at KoKo's and sez he spotted my '94 out in front and figured he could get some help here. He was havin' trouble with a vacuum hose on his Thunderbird at home, couldn't get it to idle worth a flip, just about at his wits end. I asked if it was 4.6 or 3.8 and he answered 3.8..."just like the one outside".
Told him that's a Super Coupe outside and he sez "yeah, that's what I got, a Super Coupe". Asked him where he lived and he sez right around the corner down the street, could I help him out. Said sure, whatcha need? Sez the hose is missin', don't know where it goes, so I lead him over to one of the SC engines in the shop and start to quiz him on where this evil hose is supposed to be at.

He sez "oh no, it ain't got the supercharger on it, it's a regular 3.8". I start to envision one of the LX's I've seen rollin' around with Xenon or Razzi on it but he assures me it's an SC...a '92 to be exact...Pearl White on top of that.

"Picked it up off a dude in Port Arthur, it was runnin' real bad. Changed the headgaskets and it just doesn't wanna smooth out. kinda missin' a little".

I'm still kinda wonderin' what in the world it took to get the n/a installed much less runnin' and he asks if I can drop by and scope it out, I said sure, see ya tomorrow.

Next day I cruise over and he's tinkerin' on it.
Walked up and sure enuff...

'bird

The good news...it's a '90 (not '92) and is indeed an SC.
DSO # is 13, a New York car, anybody recognize it?
bry2367.jpg

The bad news...
bry2387.jpg

sure it's not an LX with the sc bumpers and what not? i notice the side molding is painted the body color, so perhaps someone added the bumpers as well

If it's a 90, then it's a Supercoupe. It has ABS and looks to have ARC as well. ABS wasn't available in an LX until 91 as far as I know and ARC never was. Although those could be just the covers but I doubt it. Yuk, what a mess.

8ate8 said:
sure it's not an LX with the sc bumpers and what not? i notice the side molding is painted the body color, so perhaps someone added the bumpers as well
Nope, it's an SC (64R).

Paint code is YO, what color was that in 1990?

'bird

8ate8 said:
If I'm not mistaken, the side molding that's pictured is unique to the SC. Other models had a wider molding with a chrome strip.

Question is, why whould anybody do that to an SC? :confused: I mean, I could almost see it if the 3.8 SC motor was fugged up bad and a N/A 3.8 was available real cheap or even free but come on man, theres principle involed here. :eek:

Last edited:
Tom, I had a 93 3.8 LX and it did have keyless entry.
I see.
Question is, why whould anybody do that to an SC? I mean, I could almost see it if the 3.8 SC motor was fugged up bad and a N/A 3.8 was available real cheap or even free but come on man, theres principle involed here.
Ya, I can only imagine that they really wanted to preserve the body/interior/ride etc. of the SC and had a cheap N/A motor available. Surely there MUST be a good reason for it! :confused:
Im sure Wynn will find out more in the time to come....and may even end up owning it!
Tom

NorthrnSCownr said:
I see.
Ya, I can only imagine that they really wanted to preserve the body/interior/ride etc. of the SC and had a cheap N/A motor available. Surely there MUST be a good reason for it! :confused:
I looked it over fairly well, these cars don't rust very badly in this area if at all and this one definitely has some problem spots. The bottom edge of the quarter windows were the most obvious, I'm sure there's more. The rear bumper cover has seen its better days, front one too. Seats aren't ripped up but they're showing their age. Don't know if the moonroof works, got late wheels on it though. The pearl paint has yellowed, kinda got a funky-cool look to it, I sorta like it.
NorthrnSCownr said:
Im sure Wynn will find out more in the time to come....
Tom
He had just changed plugs, engine had a dead miss on one cylinder that he couldn't get rid of, runs kinda rough, smokes at an idle. I'm wonderin' if whoever swapped the engine also changed the EEC, it should matter huh?
NorthrnSCownr said:
and may even end up owning it!
(shush, g/f likes to remind me enuff as it is why I don't have a Harley!)

'bird

here's a coupla more pics
bry2357.jpg

bry2377.jpg

bry2417.jpg

ZOIKS! That's one balmy "SC" (if we're allowed to call it one anymore;))
Don't worry Wynn, I'm sure it'll bein your yard soon enough!! :D
I can see it now ~Thread headline~
Parting out N/A SC errr Parting out SC N/A NASC, SACN doh!! or something like that!

I have never heard of anyone doing something like that to an SC! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whoever is a big enough jack-@$$ to do that should be HUNG by his toes! Maybe they did not swap out computers. Is the N/A computer the same??? If not, this may explain some things.... :confused:

EECs for SC and n/a V6s are different in their programming.

FYI-ABS was available as an option for 1990 Base and LX-at a cost of $1,085

I saw an SC at the junkyard last summer that had at some point in it's life had a N/A 3.8 swapped in. I had to check the VIN to be sure because the engine install job looked so not "backyard hack job". It was resprayed pearl white too. Kinda spooky.....

SCme94 said:
I saw an SC at the junkyard last summer that had at some point in it's life had a N/A 3.8 swapped in. I had to check the VIN to be sure because the engine install job looked so not "backyard hack job". It was resprayed pearl white too. Kinda spooky.....
Yep, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...and some ex-girlfriends. :D

Here's the VIN, anybody wanna car fax this? If you do, list the states it's traveled through so we can see where it's been.

1fapp64r8lh141416

thanks,

'bird

I have seen/heard of this happening on two other occations. One, Bill Evanoff had baught a parts car SC that someone had swapped in a NA 3.8. Two, I was at a local junkyard and saw what looked like an SC sitting there but also had the NA 3.8 in it. I never looked at the VIN number or the build tag to make sure it was a real SC so I will never be for sertain if it was or not.

Shane

How about this, I have a 90 Cougar LS sitting here that has all the SC stuff swapped into it. It's a brand new crate engine/tranny/exhaust system etc. Weird. Someone went to a lot of work and never did get it to run correctly.

Back