This could be a dumb Tranny ?? But . . . .

Mustang IIowner

. . . . Why doesnt anyone drop a tremmec or other Mustang 5-speed into their SC. I see the synchros are always going out on these Manual Transmissions, and theyre a Narrow gear setup.

Sooo........ If you can get a better "off the line" with a wider range 5-speed, and it doesnt have the problems, PLUS theyre a helluva lot more common;

Why not swap one in??

The problem is that the slowstang tranny is about 6inches to short. Yeah it bolts up with some changes, but the shifter is nowhere near where it is suposed to be. But there is a remedy for this problem. Go to MN12performance.com. They have an extender box for sale that works with the T5 that places the shifter where it is suposed to be.

The M5R2 is a great tranny as long as you dont abuse the hell out of it, but still it can take a beating.

Shane

I was actually speaking of that with a v8 tbird guy the other day. The problem with bolting up a stanger 5speed was the position of the shifter, but even when that problem has been solved....you'd think that alot of people would rush and change over. Well, obviously that hasnt happened. I guess we just grow fond of the m5r2 :D ...or we're just fond of bad synchros. :p

Unless the T5 is upgraded it has just as many problems. I know alot of guys who race mustangs with them and they have to keep a spare or two laying around.
Alan

you'll also need the stang flywheel (10.5"), bellhousing, and slave cylinder set-up, along with the longer driveshaft, then the tranny shifter extension, as well as a new t56 shifter. The shifter alone will cost you $150-200, tranny will cost another $400, along with all the other goodies. I'd rather just repair the m5r2. Its rated for more power than the t5...which is why ford didn;t put in the t5 in the first place. The sc was a much more powerful car than the stang at the time, and it would have ripped it apart. Yes the t5 is more common and parts are everywhere...but they have big weaknesses as well, such as the front bearing housing, and the cases flex real bad under power.

Okay, Thanx for all that info. Its a lot of help. Now is there a performance gain in going to a T5, or does an SC still run about the same ETs??

Thanx.

Jon.

Back