Alternator Removal

LXSC

How the heck do I get this alternator off? It's pivoting back and forth on this bolt on the bottom. I took off the nut holding it on the engine closest to the back. But how does it come off? Just gimme the step by step. Thanks

alt

damn thing huh haha, i think there are only 2 boltsholding it... the most pain is the lowest one, as it screws out, i think it hits the IC so u might have to loosen the upper IC tube bolts and just looses the lower IC bolts to to move the IC back a bit,, if imn wrong i hope someone else comes in, i know how much it sucks to do more work than needed on these cars but it's what i did,
Damon,, good luck

It's pivoting back and forth on this bolt on the bottom
Are you saying the long bolt at the bottom is still in there? If so pull the bolt out as far as you can. It will probably hit the I/C before it comes out completely...After that it can take quite a bit of pulling it back and forth to get it out.

There are 2 or 3 bolts holding it on depending on if someone has pitched the bolt on the back of the alt case.
You may need to remove or loosen the upper I/C tube to get the alt out completely.

It is easyer just to take the intercooler out and the upper intercooler tube. That gives you tons of room to work on the alternator. There are four total bolts on the alternator: One on the top, one on the bottom that hits the intercooler, one on the back under the coil pack, and one that holds the ground wire to it. Make sure you remove the negative battery cable when messing with the ground wire. It can very easily short your fusable links and your alternator. I know.

Shane

Once you have all the bolts you may find you just need to give it a little tap with a rubber mallet or a block of wood to pry it out of the lower bracket. Dirt and stuff gets in there making it a little tight.

I found I had to take off my upper SC tube and the Coil pack to get good access. I left the IC in and just didn't take that bottom bolt completely out. It pulled back far enough to clear the alt.

i changed my alternator like 3 times in 2 days and i never moved the IC or the top tube. once i got the bolts out all the way i had to pry under the alternator with a large screwdriver to wiggle it loose. i ditched the back mounting bolt. you don't need it.the bottom bolt wont come out all the way but it comes out enough. i think i also removed my coil pack.

Last edited:
Back