Reproduction Brake Lines

Kern Fischer

When I checked my Ford dealer recently, they indicated that the flexible brake lines (Body to caliper) were no longer available through the parts system. Our rubber lines are getting old and may be cracking on some cars.

I wanted to replace my rubber lines with braided stainless steel flex lines as I occasionally use the car on road racing tracks. Goodridge showed a listing for the car but when it came down to ordering, they did not have parts and had no design data to make them. If anyone knows another source, please advise.

If they are not available, I am an automotive engineer and am considering reproducing the brake lines. How many of you other owners might be interested in new, reproduction brake lines with braided stainless flexible sections? I do not have a projected price yet so if you could indicate an approximate amount that you would consider paying, I can determine whether we can produce them for a price you consider fair. Also, the more interest, the lower we can make the price as volume affects pricing.

You can respond to the posting or directly to my e-mail address: klfischer-satcar@msn.com.

Thank you for any interest.

Kern Fischer

I think this is a good idea. There are several ways that a person can go about getting steel braided lines for our cars and making something work, but to have something offered that is drop-in guaranteed to fit would be very nice. I will need a couple sets over time. I think about $100 is typical for a complete set. Yes, no?

I paid for braided lines to 3 different places and got refunded from everyone because they cannot even be made( I was told) I ended up ordering a set of rubber ones from rockauto.com. If you find a source for braided fill us in I gave up the search after about 3 weeks.
Alan

To: jordansypek
When you ordered your brake lines from Porterfield, were they complete duplicate bolt on units or were they they just the flex lines and fittings that you had to adapt to your existing hard lines?

QUOTE=Kern Fischer]When I checked my Ford dealer recently, they indicated that the flexible brake lines (Body to caliper) were no longer available through the parts system. Our rubber lines are getting old and may be cracking on some cars.

I wanted to replace my rubber lines with braided stainless steel flex lines as I occasionally use the car on road racing tracks. Goodridge showed a listing for the car but when it came down to ordering, they did not have parts and had no design data to make them. If anyone knows another source, please advise.

If they are not available, I am an automotive engineer and am considering reproducing the brake lines. How many of you other owners might be interested in new, reproduction brake lines with braided stainless flexible sections? I do not have a projected price yet so if you could indicate an approximate amount that you would consider paying, I can determine whether we can produce them for a price you consider fair. Also, the more interest, the lower we can make the price as volume affects pricing.

You can respond to the posting or directly to my e-mail address: klfischer-satcar@msn.com.

Thank you for any interest.

Kern Fischer[/QUOTE]

tirerack.com lists Goodridge G-stop brakeline kit for the SC. Kit includes rear disc lines. Price $153

Tire rack was the first company to refund my money to me when they realized they could not actualy get them. Raceshopper.com did the same.
Pricewise if good quality hoses could be made i am sure they would be worth at least $100 a set. I would buy them at that price.
Alan

I checked with my Tire Rack rep today and he confirmed that Goodridge does not have SC brake lines available, even though they are listed in the catalog.

Thinking about the pricing responses that you are offering, I believe that in the quantities that I can project, getting complete replacement lines for anywhere near $ 100 is going to be very difficult, if not impossible. The special end fittings and pre-bent hard line portions alone are going to require some tooling and/or special machining.

If I can create a kit of some sort that would use the existing hard line portions and just replace the flex lines, that would be less expensive, but more work to install and more prone to error during installation.

Your thoughts please.

Kern Fischer
89 SC Stick

All New

I would rather be placing all new and never re-using such things ;)
Just think "IT would last the life time of your SC"
.02cents

I would be very interested in ordering a few sets. They would be good for road racers since they are much stronger and can disipate heat better than rubber.

Shane

It was my understanding that braided stainless steel lines are really rubber with a stainless steel fabric wrapped around them. The rubber contains the fluid, the stainless steel restricts the ability of the rubber to expand when under pressure. (I'm not sure that the hose is actually rubber, probably some fabric mesh coated with a rubber like material)

If that's the case, I don't think any heat is going to be leaving any faster.

Here we go, here is what they are made of:
Stainless Steel lines (they are actually hoses, but we’ll use the common term “lines” from this point forward in this FAQ) are similar to OEM hoses in function, but differ greatly in execution. Unlike OEM hoses, SS lines incorporate a low-compliance Teflon inner hose. In addition, instead of covering the Teflon with overmolded rubber a woven braid of Stainless Steel strands is placed over the hose for protection. As with an OEM hose, the ends are terminated with hollow fasteners to allow for the leak-free passage of brake fluid.

Did any thing ever happin n cutom lines
.I would buy a pair for the front and back.
I would want the rear to be all flexable.
And to fit cobra calipers.
Thanks Randy

Just to let people know I emailed a place that said they will make sets so I will post back and see where we can go.

This swap would be easy to do.I am going to look into picking up some parts today.for my cobra brake swap.

You just need new blocks bolted to the fender

Randy

Back