Choosing torque converter

Thomas95SC

Tried posting in the drivetrain forum but no luck. Maybe i'll get more luck here.

It seems like the more I read on this, the more confusing it gets. I have no idea what kind of TC to use with my 94. I plan to use the whole MP setup next Jan. While upgrading the engine, I also wanted to improve on my drivetrain. I know that I want to install 3:55 gearing. I have a 24,000 GVW B&M tranny cooler waiting to be installed. I also know that I want to get a Lentech street terminator VB. But i'm having trouble figuring out what TC to use with this application. Also, i've seen people suggest upgrading the input shaft? Can someone tell me what would be good :confused:. Thanks.

Your converter choice is going to depend a lot on what you are planning to do with the car. I will have a 12 inch lentech non locking converter for sale soon. I am going with more stall for drag racing. Uts a good street converter at 2200 rpms.

It's a 94 auto so it has the 4r70w transmission. There are no different input shafts for these, they are already 1 piece. The best bang for the buck on your ride will be to install a marauder converter, but that may require a custom flexplate. I seem to be at a loss on proper balance configuration on these v6's. Does anyone know the different balance setups for these engines? I was reading and I can come up with 3 different balance setups. What goes where and when?
Alan

Iam not really sure what you mean. But they are supposed to be internally balanced.

Lentech AOD/torque Coverter.....

Hi Thomas, You may want to look into a Valve body with a
1 2 or 3 calibration,I'm getting one for a friend...Email me about what you need, to the point...I'm getting into the lentech. Explain what your trying to accomplish... I have a good Idea but want to sure.

Email Me!
Victor Diane
I can Help out!

Last edited:
It is a 4r70w, Just j-mod it to the specs you want listed on the tccoa website.
If the 94 s/c engine is zero balanced then you could easily install a markVIII flexplate and torque converter. That would be a tremendous improvement, and likely be the best combination for a supercoupe engine. Any more stall would waste the torque curve.
Alan

Good Information...I see what to mean!

Dirtyd0g said:
It is a 4r70w, Just j-mod it to the specs you want listed on the tccoa website.
If the 94 s/c engine is zero balanced then you could easily install a markVIII flexplate and torque converter. That would be a tremendous improvement, and likely be the best combination for a supercoupe engine. Any more stall would waste the torque curve.
Alan
Hi Alan/ Dirtydog
This is good Information, and yes you could Intall a Mark V111 Flexplate and torque converter, What kind of cost do you think this would run? I would think less $$ and much better Improvement and combo. I have the Lentech in My
5.0 Bill Elliot Edition Super Coupe the ones that were made By Bill Elliot after the 1993 Talladega he had 50 made Davie Allison Also did something Similar..., Its a awesome piece of work. Now on the Super Coupe up to what stall do you think would be right? as not to waste the torque curve? This Interest me alot. I'm planing to do some work with Lentech, and would like all the Info you could provide me. I need to be up to date on these things...any additional Info is Much appreciated!
Thank you! Alan :)
Victor, Diane and Associates....
Happy Hollidays! Is there any way we could talk on the phone...I will PM you...
Thanks again.
Thomas is a good friend. I want to get him right on track and be able to save him some $$$ I will try to email you or PM me! My member no. is 1410 Thanx!

Last edited:
how serious are you planning to get with your car? I plan on doing all the engine work first and setting the motor up for 300-350hp then I'll setup the trans to match the power/torque curve of my setup, if your planning on making some serious power you need to match it with a trans that will plant that power/tq in its optimal range in the rpm band. To high of a stall and you'll miss your torque curve, to low and it may bog until you reach your torque curve. If its a mild street car with decent power then you can pretty much guestimate a good trans setup. The best way to find a converter/gear setup for your application is through your dyno results, so you can see where your torque curve starts to climb, where it peaks, and how long your engine will produce a decent amount of torque before it falls off.

92silverlx said:
how serious are you planning to get with your car? I plan on doing all the engine work first and setting the motor up for 300-350hp then I'll setup the trans to match the power/torque curve of my setup, if your planning on making some serious power you need to match it with a trans that will plant that power/tq in its optimal range in the rpm band. To high of a stall and you'll miss your torque curve, to low and it may bog until you reach your torque curve. If its a mild street car with decent power then you can pretty much guestimate a good trans setup. The best way to find a converter/gear setup for your application is through your dyno results, so you can see where your torque curve starts to climb, where it peaks, and how long your engine will produce a decent amount of torque before it falls off.

Hi Victor Here,
I think I found the right Stuff right on this post...I wish I could pick your heads for more info on the Lentech...I want to be able to carry this product in our store, I have been pretty busy but otherwise, I want to learn all I can to be able to jive with the Folks at Lentech...I know that this will become a reality in 2005, I have been working with a Rep. about Hooking up with lentech. I would be grateful,if you could also help me find all the right questions to ask. This could be beneficial to SCCoA members and beneficial to us as well.
Thank you!
Any Information is appreciated. :D :D :D
Happy Hollidays,
Victor, Diane and associates...

Last edited:
This will be mostly for street application. My SC is my daily driver. I will be installing the Magnum powers setup ie. 3.5" intake tube, 75-76mm MAF?, 85mm TB, MP inlet plenum, ported blower, raised top, FMIC, with #42lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, and opened exhuast. XR7 Dave will be building me a chip hopefully. When the motor finally decides to quit, I want to put some steg heads in it with a decent cam. I can see where 92silverlx has a good point with the dyno. I do plan to have it dynoed so that XR7 Dave can tweak the chip if needed. I will be installing a Lentech vavle body with the mild setting so that it wont be too harsh on the tranny.
Victor, that would be great if you could get your hands on some decent tranny components!

The stock marauder converter (or any 11&1/4 converter for that matter) will stall about 2600 behind a s/c engine. SCP sells a similar unit that will stall about 2800 and has rollerbearings,brazed fins, and a much better lockup clutch. I always like lentech products ,but on a 4r70w It would be best to do it yourself.
As far as aod's go lentech is the only company I like the products from.
Alan

I'n Running a very similar set up.....

sonicman1634 said:
This will be mostly for street application. My SC is my daily driver. I will be installing the Magnum powers setup ie. 3.5" intake tube, 75-76mm MAF?, 85mm TB, MP inlet plenum, ported blower, raised top, FMIC, with #42lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, and opened exhuast. XR7 Dave will be building me a chip hopefully. When the motor finally decides to quit, I want to put some steg heads in it with a decent cam. I can see where 92silverlx has a good point with the dyno. I do plan to have it dynoed so that XR7 Dave can tweak the chip if needed. I will be installing a Lentech vavle body with the mild setting so that it wont be too harsh on the tranny.
Victor, that would be great if you could get your hands on some decent tranny components!

Good Morning,
I'm getting ready to leave and get somethings done today. So I wanted to get back with you.I'm working on a Valve body right now for a good friend...His Name Is Joe Brauner...he want's a 2 calibration, I'm going to make sure he does all the things needed for it to work just right for him...The same as 92ilverlx...
I have basiclly the same set up...Except I plan to upgrade to 42 # injectors My 38# are real borderline, I'm also using the 1.73 Ford racing Rockers and planning to build a engine that will hold more HP, RPM, with Light cam, I also want to port My blower Magnaport11...I can have that done no problem. From what we have spoken in the past We are almost mirroring the engines and the upper engine components. Yes These guys are good. I also need tuning and have my chip "Apten" Re-burned if needed? after tuning...I just want to keep The SC, that I have now for week end drives, some racing, but want to build another car for just racing.I also want XR7 DAVE TO ASSIST! I would like to bring David Dalke to Florida for a tunning session for our Chapter friends...We have been thinking about the lentech products line of produts to our store then soon do direct web sales E commerce shopping kart set up, I would of liked to have Dr.Fred done a cam for me when my engine was re-manufactured but Dr Fred at that time had dissapeared, otherwise I would also have a cam.I will go with a comp cam.
I wonder where he has gone? Anyone know? I plan to carry the Lentech products sometime in January so I'm working on that and so many other things, Its mind boggling how we get it all done. Its alot of hard work. I want to leave a good legacy and A Good name, When I stop with spinningwheels-sc. Let the younger ones run it. I want to start having some fun not all work. I plan to stay at this for 3 to maybe 5 years tops.
Then I want to take Diane and myself drive around the country,Visit with friends and family. I spoke with Alan /Dirtydog last night his low 11 run he ran without Nitros! Now that's a accomplishment. So I believe he will pass Coy, or I think already has?...All records are eventually broken... Thats what competitive sport racing is about the Clock...! So Thomas, Count on the lentech parts and a few things also coming in January or so..., God willing! I always count on him.Keep up the good work. Thanks to the pace setters! showing alot of us what it takes to move alot of steel quickly down the track, Coy Included.
Have a real good Sunday, I will be in most of the day. I have a bug of some sort. No flu shots this year... Everyone stay healthy. :) :) ;)
Victor, Diane ans Associates.
I would like to verify a typo in this re-ply I wrote that Dirty dog had an 11 second car this was a typo and my mistake. I apologize for any numbers that I wrote that are not accurate, but a misunderstanding and typo, I understood 11 plus but I was mistaken. I did speak to Dity Dog and probably misundertood him...We spoke of engines and running fast without nitros. My Mistake. This was un intentional. I do think he is a real nice guy and enjoyed our conversation. I have not seen his ticket or any run that he has made in 11 plus seconds. Thank you! I thought or understood 11 plus I took it as seconds. So I think he was talking about his transmission. I also do not believe Coy's record has been beaten. It was a misuderstanding on my part Not Ditydogs. I hope this clears up this reply.I have a tendency not to proof read at times.Again My apologies for any misuderstading. :eek: :confused: and tired.
Vitor

Last edited:
Vendors Meeting All of us working together for the good of all!

Dirtyd0g said:
The stock marauder converter (or any 11&1/4 converter for that matter) will stall about 2600 behind a s/c engine. SCP sells a similar unit that will stall about 2800 and has rollerbearings,brazed fins, and a much better lockup clutch. I always like lentech products ,but on a 4r70w It would be best to do it yourself.
As far as aod's go lentech is the only company I like the products from.
Alan

Thanks Dirtydog,
I'm Thinking of calling Bill and other Vendors, Bill always has pretty good advice. I Bought everything from him when I fist did my SC. I believe its High time for us vendors to get together agree on somethings and learn to work together in more Harmony for the good of us all. This would also benefit the Members, customers, and we can all live together in the same arena. I think Its bound to happen sooner or later. I'm Going to try to get all the Vendors Interested in a meeting of the minds and help each other for the good of us all. I will give him a call, He always, there for good advice and good produts. We are competitors, but B to B is always a good way to assist each other. There I said first! Ihave already tried to contact Blue Tonge, I will call others also. After all We are all a family, Thats the whole thing about SCCoA, A Brotherhood of Enthusiast trying to preserve the Thunderbird SC and the XR7 Ford has not done it, We are all doing what Ford quit doing, and doing a better Job at it. :p :cool: :) Thats My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Cant see any advantage in buying lentech transmission parts from a vendor. For starters they are the experts and when you order converters or transmissions they ask questions to make sure you are getting the right stuff for your application. Also seems that when I buy direct I save a ton of money by taking one more hand out of the process. Dont get me wrong I have no problem with people making money. But I am always trying to get the best price on anything I buy.

I spoke with Alan /Dirtydog last night his low 11 run he ran without Nitros! Now that's a accomplishment. So I believe he will pass Coy, or I think already has...All records are eventually broken... Thatsd what competitive sport racing is about the Clock...!

Victor,

Was this in a Supercoupe using a 3.8 w/M90 based supercharger ?

David

Who Knows what you may need from a Vendor, On a Holliday week end!

tim said:
Cant see any advantage in buying lentech transmission parts from a vendor. For starters they are the experts and when you order converters or transmissions they ask questions to make sure you are getting the right stuff for your application. Also seems that when I buy direct I save a ton of money by taking one more hand out of the process. Dont get me wrong I have no problem with people making money. But I am always trying to get the best price on anything I buy.

Hi Tim You were in the coversation last night, You were surprized at how light his cam was, If I remember correctly.I decided to call him I was pretty impressed with Dirtydog or Alan.
I thought you were pretty savvy. I,m not just a Vendor, I know Business...I may just have a part that you may need for a race if on a holliday, and I might be able to overnight that part to you? Everyone has their Opinions, and choices, I respect yours!
If you ever need a part that I may have and you need it, I will make sure I give you a Special Discount? The 2% to 5% SCCoA Discount as long as your dues are paid up.I give good discounts to many customers.I have to do buy in's to be able to sell certain parts. It get expensive. Good Luck to you!
Happy Hollidays ;)
Victor,Diane and Associates
www.spinningwheels-sc.com

Hi David...I,m Pretty sure it was, He was using a firly light cam!

David Neibert said:
Victor,

Was this in a Supercoupe using a 3.8 w/M90 based supercharger ?

David

Hi David, I have not spoken with you since Carisle! I was real Impressed with your set up! I was the big guy with the cigar.
From what we spoke last night I,m sure he has spent some $$$ on the engine, Maybe a ported blower? Not sure. He had pretty much what I have in my SC exept I do not have a cam :( I'm Building a new engine for a car just for Racing it will have a cam and much more. I have about everything he has, a re-manufactured engine plus all the Mag.Powers upgrades all polish,light aluminum pullies and on and on, But my 1/4 mile driving could use practice. I work about 15 to 18 hrs per day and so does Diane, and now we are working with a associate, which I will disclose his name and what we have coming out in 2005 A damn good exhaust for starters, plus a few more surprises. PM him and he will tell you. He is a real laid back guy! I think you would like him. Keep it under 7000K Nice hearing from you! :cool:
Take care! and Happy Hollidays to you!
Victor,Diane and associates
www.spinningwheels-sc.com

Last edited:
Victor, I think itsgreat that you are selling parts. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned. Competition helps keep prices down to guys like me. All I was saying is that some parts are better off bought direct. I would have no problem doing business with you sometime in the future if you have a part I am looking for at the right price. You are right sometimes when you need a part its needed right now. Have a nice holiday Tim

Hi David, I have not spoken with you since Carisle! I was real Impressed with your set up! I was the big guy with the cigar.

Victor,

You must have me mixed up with someone else, I've never been to Carlisle.

Perhaps Alan (dirtydog) will see this post and tell us about his car. Low 11s is very impressive with nitrous, running that quick on the motor alone is off the chart and would make it the fastest non nitrous SC in the club.

David

I thought it was you! I took a picture of who I have thought was you!

David Neibert said:
Victor,

You must have me mixed up with someone else, I've never been to Carlisle.

Perhaps Alan (dirtydog) will see this post and tell us about his car. Low 11s is very impressive with nitrous, running that quick on the motor alone is off the chart and would make it the fastest non nitrous SC in the club.

David

Hi David,
I met a guy at Carisle that had similar set up as you, at least I thought it was you, because I keep up with you and you times and performance, you are a Pace setter in the Club, and I'm sure you will hit the 10's real soon, you cant quit now....I know better...Those 10 seconds are real close!
Good luck to you!
I,m Planning an event in Florida in the spring while its still fairly cool, that is good racing weather, BTW its dropping in the mid 30's tonight in Ocala Florida tonight and Miami is at 52 degrees wheew! I will send you a picture of the car and the Dude I met thinking it was you! Maybe I will list the few other pic's I got. It was rainy the first two days then the sun shun its face on Sunday the day we had to drive home!
Good luck!
Happy Hollidays again,
I hope to meet you someday, Maybe in spring :) !
Victor,Diane and Associate
Keep em spinning! :D :cool: :)

Back