Traction Lok question

jfsram

I bought a used 1990 Super Coupe differential with a 2.73 gear ratio.

I want to install the trac loc in my 95 TBird LX 4.6L.
I presently has a 3.08 open diff.

Can I leave my pinion gear alone and remove my ring gear from the open diff.
Put my ring gear onto the trac loc and reinstall it into my original rear housing?
It it too easy or am I missing something? Thanks

The following assumes that we're not mixing 2.73 and 3.08 ring gears and pinion gears in with each other. I couldn't tell for sure from your post. That will not work at all.

Swapping the ring gears and leaving the pinion in the case will work provided you check the gears for alignment. A standard ring and pinion installation kit will come with instructions on how to do that and everything you'll need. If it's off, you'll need to adjust the depth of the pinion gear, but check, it might work.

Maybe someone here knows how to makeshift some checking compount so the guy doesn't have to buy a whole kit just to make sure? Some kind of liquid chalk maybe?

You need to get a simple gear swap kit with shimms and paint. You might want to get new pinion bearings also. You CAN NOT mix the two gears - they must be matching set....especially if they are diff ratios they will not work together.

All should be good though....good luck, to bad only 3.27 - should have got higher gear.

Rebuild the TracLok

Since you've got the diff. out anyway, you might want to consider rebuilding the clutches in it. The TracLok came out of a 5-spd SC. You don't know the condition of the friction & seperator plates. Last time I looked, rebuild kits were around $60, & you end up with a Like New diff. If you ask me, that's Cheap Insurance, on an Expensive rebuild!!!!!!

I bought my '89 XR-7 new, and the TracLok lasted 30K mi. Had the German Ford garage replace it. The replacement lasted 30K mi. too!!!!

68COUGAR

Being an old drag racer (God I miss it) you damn sure can't mix ratio's and unmatched gear sets aren't real clever either. Why would you want to do that? Ring and Pinion sets are not all that expensive in the first place.

if you leave the pinion in and swap the traclock installing the ring on tracl
lock you still need to set up the gears as all carriers are different, the trac lock is from a different housing and is not the same as the existing one so you still have to check the depth and pattern.

Back