Bogging down... MAF?

AlanEdwards

The other day I poorly described a problem. Let me give it another try and ask what you guys think. 1st of all I was told by the Ford dealership that I need a new MAF. I took mine off and cleaned the filament with an alcohol based cleaner and put it back on. I didn't have any performance problems before or after that, but cleaned it anyway.

The other day, under medium-hard acceleration, the engine started bogging down at almost 4000 RPM's. Now it does it at anything above 3000 RPM's. Everything seems to run pretty good when driving normal, not hard, as well as at idle, in or out of gear.

Today it was brought to my attention that the little black sensor module on top of the housing can have a "resistance" problem, and the air-fuel mixture can be totally screwed, causing these problems. I've run a scanner on the EEC, but to no avail. There are no hard codes in the memory. The ck engine light only flashed once when the above happened, 3 separate times.

I'm watching my budget very closely, but with these symptoms do you think I should go ahead and invest $90 in a new MAF from Autozone?

Thanks for your help. SCCoA is great.

Last edited:
AlanEdwards said:
The other day I poorly described a problem. Let me give it another try and ask what you guys think. 1st of all I was told by the Ford dealership that I need a new MAF. I took mine off and cleaned the filament with an alcohol based cleaner and put it back on. I didn't have any performance problems before or after that, but cleaned it anyway.

The other day, under medium-hard acceleration, the engine started bogging down at almost 4000 RPM's. Now it does it at anything above 3000 RPM's. Everything seems to run pretty good when driving normal, not hard, as well as at idle, in or out of gear.

Today it was brought to my attention that the little black sensor module on top of the housing can have a "resistance" problem, and the air-fuel mixture can be totally screwed, causing these problems. I've run a scanner on the EEC, but to no avail. There are no hard codes in the memory. The ck engine light only flashed once when the above happened, 3 separate times.

I'm watching my budget very closely, but with these symptoms do you think I should go ahead and invest $90 in a new MAF from Autozone?

Thanks for your help. SCCoA is great.

Do a fuel pressure test. You could have a bad pressure regulator or pump. Also when was the fuel filter changed last?

David

David,

I was planning on changing the fuel filter tomorrow, good call. I haven't performed a pressure test yet. I could do that tomorrow too, if the filter doesn't relieve my problem. Thanks.

I knew of that dreaded possibility, but I wanted to avoid it if at all possible. BTW, since we're on the subject, a tune looks like a BEAR on the SC. What exactly needs to be removed on the '94 to replace the plugs and wires?

My fuel pump went at 90k on my 94 and was doing what you described. After I got the pump out I tested it dry and it was pulsating.

AlanEdwards said:
I knew of that dreaded possibility, but I wanted to avoid it if at all possible. BTW, since we're on the subject, a tune looks like a BEAR on the SC. What exactly needs to be removed on the '94 to replace the plugs and wires?

Bah, it ain't hard.

Drivers side is done from below with a cold engine. On the passenger side you remove the intake duct and worm your hand in there like with any other 3.8 MN12. First time will be a bit aggravating as you learn the ways in, and what tools you have that work best, but after a time or two it'll be cake.

One thing that will help is a spare plug boot to help thread the new plugs in. It gives a bit more reach and traction without being clumsy like some of the specialized plug threading tools can be.

Thanks Parker for the tune-up advise. I feel better about it now.

I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, lo and behold, no more bogging down. This just goes to show you, when you have a problem- always go for the simplest and cheapest things 1st.

Thanks guys for your help.

AlanEdwards said:
Thanks Parker for the tune-up advise. I feel better about it now.

I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, lo and behold, no more bogging down. This just goes to show you, when you have a problem- always go for the simplest and cheapest things 1st.

Thanks guys for your help.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix for ya.

David

Back