changing alternator

SuperCoupe10

I need tips for getting the alternator out. I have read some of the other replies to this same problem, but i need to know how to get the top sc tube off i couldnt figure it out. Ive got all the bolts off of the alternator, just waitin to figure out how to get it out.

Last edited:
What I did:

Remove the three bolts and one stud from the SC top.
Remove the two nuts holding the top SC intercooler tube to the intercooler.
Remove the studs coming out of the intercooler that the nuts were on. (5.5mm socket I think)
Remove the nut on the stud below the IC tube near the accessor bracket.
Remove the stud from the bracket using a socket.

Once you do that nothing should be in the way of the tube and SC top lifting straight up. The SC top will be tight on the SC and will take some assistance to remove. I use a rubber mallet and tap the sides of the top until it popped off. It takes some patience. You don't want to lever against the SC Tube or bang on anything with a metal hammer or you might crack the cast aluminum parts.

Others have found ways to get it out without removing the tube. For me I removed the tube.

Now if you have the wrench for the big collar nut you can remove that big nut to take the tube off.

SuperCoupe10 said:
I need tips for getting the alternator out. I have read some of the other replies to this same problem, but i need to know how to get the top sc tube off i couldnt figure it out. Ive got all the bolts off of the alternator, just waitin to figure out how to get it out.
Avoid the big collar nut. Take the 3 bolts + 1 stud out of the supercharger top, remove the stud/nut holding the upper tube to the power steering bracket, and take the 2 nuts off the ring on the intercooler. Then just take the upper tube and top off as 1 piece.
When you go to reassemble, hand tight on the SC top bolts and no more. Also, a razor thin layer of copper RTV on the SC top surface will seal it fine. :cool:

You can easily get at the nut and stud (The one near the middle of the upper IC tube down below, that you can't really get at from above), by going through the wheel well. There will be an opening there big enough to get a socket on an extension through. It's almost a straight in. Use a socket to get that nut off, then a smaller socket to get the stud out.

I got my alternator in my 90' in and out in less than and hour by just manuvering it in the right way. All I had to take off was the coil above it and the belt tensioner in front of it, and with a little patience and some good moves it was done.

Back