Boost on startup

BARTHWY59

Just got a 89 s/c will only start with starting fluid and then stalls when it runs out. Thats a different thread though, when it runs the gauge goes to boost the whole time and never gets below zero. Replaced vacuum hoses as per ford manual, what else could cause this ?? If i take the s/c belt off will this point me in the right direction ?? Thanks

Vacuum leak

You say it will only run with boost? Does it do this on its own or do you have to give it throttle? Sounds like theres still a vacuum leak, but I need more info. Check all of the connections on the intercooler and supercharger. Sounds like the engine is going lean. Will it stay running with boost, without starting fluid? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Will it run on all 6 cylinders?
I believe you are seeing boost beacuse it requires that much throttle to keep the engine running in this state. Good luck, JJ

Will get a fuel pressure gauge first thing tomorrow and check vacuum hoses for the tenth time. Thanks , keep you updated

I read somewhere on this forum that if you open up the exhaust (lessen the backpressure), the boost gauge will give a lower reading than previously. So the opposite will be true: a blocked exhaust will show a high boost.

Back