Whining...in a bad way

leeklimala

With out the SC belt on, there is this detestable high pitch grinding/whining coming from the belts and I cannot seem to pinpoint it...it sounds like it is coming from around the alternator. But when I get close or use a stethascope it seems to be the tensioner next to it. Has anyone else had this problem? I can remember reading somethig about one of the pulleys going bad but can't be for sure?

yeaup, Kragen sells replacement pulley's that are just a hair too small, but they work. Try and spin the pulley that's on there now. If it makes a bad noise, it's probably going south. They should spin fairly quietly.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, who is Kragen? I'm assuming there is enough play in the tensioner to compensate the undersizing of the pulley?

Kragen is that magical guy that lives in the cloud... no KRAGEN AUTO PARTS, or CHECKER AUTO PARTS or ADVANCE AUTO PARTS, CHUCKER SHUCK KRAGEN AUTOPARTS, i dont know how many damn names they have, but yeah, AUTOZONE has them too, and so on. should run u about 20 bucks per pulley.

Not sure if this is your problem, but here..
My tensioner broke one day on the road, and I started to hear this annoying whining sound when I accelerated or at idle. I then pulled over to look and see where it was coming from, it sounded like it was coming from the tensioner that was broken, or so it seemed (I usually look at things that are broke first.) So I fix that, and still nothing. So, I decided to look under the car and then I found that the pressure hose for my power steering pump was melted to my block. But yeah, that was my whining sound.

Back