Oil Low light

scbilly

Just wondering if anyone has ran across this one - My 'Oil Low' light comes on intermittently a thousand miles or so after the oil has been changed, even though oil is down only a quarter of a quart.

Any ideas on why ? Thanks

scbilly said:
Just wondering if anyone has ran across this one - My 'Oil Low' light comes on intermittently a thousand miles or so after the oil has been changed, even though oil is down only a quarter of a quart.

It could be the VMM itself.

I replaced mine and when I grabbed the original one in the dash, the low oil light would come on when I pressed the front cover against the unit. Could be a short in the unit.

scbilly said:

mine comes on every now n then. sometimes when the dip stick is really low, sometimes when its just above the ADD line. its also never came up when my dipstick was dry once so who knows how accurate they really are?

Thanks, guys. It was a bad connection - funny tho, cause I have two '90 SCs and both had the same problem!

scbilly said:
Thanks, guys. It was a bad connection - funny tho, cause I have two '90 SCs and both had the same problem!

explain? i may have the same problem too!

Mine does that sometimes..... it'll come on, and when I turn the car off and turn it back on it isn't on. So, I don't use that light to worry about my oil... the Oil Change light doesn't work properly anyways, it just randomly changes to tell me to change my oil. My VMM does let me know accurately when I'm low on everythign else (fuel, coolant, windshield washer fluid). So, I'd assume it's the sensor. Oh well, not an important thing.

nick

93SuperCoupeBoy said:
Mine does that sometimes..... it'll come on, and when I turn the car off and turn it back on it isn't on. So, I don't use that light to worry about my oil... the Oil Change light doesn't work properly anyways, it just randomly changes to tell me to change my oil. My VMM does let me know accurately when I'm low on everythign else (fuel, coolant, windshield washer fluid). So, I'd assume it's the sensor. Oh well, not an important thing.

nick

oil change light is a counter, i think it works like a timer. no sensors, u just reset it and it'll count down 3000 miles or whatever. mines goin nuts right now flashing NOW NOW NOW, and im like NO NO NO cuz i forgot to reset it lsat oil change so i dont really worry about that one. the oil LOW light worries me sometimes because its been right before, yet its also been wrong so i dont like taking chances.

regarding the sensor for the oil LOW gauge, where is it and is it a hard fix?

Two minor things can effect this i think - first, make sure that the oil stick is down as far as it will go, sometimes you have to give it an extra push to make sure it hits bottom, second, take off the cover of the VMM and make sure it is clean ...where it contacts:that was the problem with mine.

Bill

Back