i cant decide which muffler i want

LostDreamer

I have had a lot of time to think of what muffler i would get on my SC and i came down to 2 so i need you guy's input on the best muffler keep in mind i wanna still be able to race on drag strips.
1. two flowmaster's
2. two Cherry Bomb glass-pack mufflers
mind you im going for that deep but loud sound to make my car sound more beefy.

Fflloowwmmaasstteerrss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want deep then go with the Flow baby...I have 2 x 40 series two chamber (the orginal) flowmasters on my 94 and at idle it has a VERY deep tone. The only thing I don't like is that it quites out around 3 grand. I am hoping to solve that problem later and get the raspy note everyone loves. If I can I'll get my dad to fire it up and get some .wav files of it.

cool i got a shop in la that will put 2 flows new pipes remove the resonater and put both flows in the place where the resonater wasand chrome tip for 340 even

LostDreamer said:
cool i got a shop in la that will put 2 flows new pipes remove the resonater and put both flows in the place where the resonater wasand chrome tip for 340 even

not sure if you'll have the room under the car for two mufflers, they will pretty much need to stay in th rear. I personally like to keep the pipes hidden as you can see in my pics on my member page. The guy I had do it did mine for 300 even. cut the resonator and put 2.5 back to the mufflers then two turndowns.

the guy at the shop told me the best place to fit them is in the center of the car not sure why but he said they will fit. i wanted camero style tip the flat square looking ones and i wnated to cut my bumper so they arnt so low to the ground lees'n the chance to screw them up

If your guy can fit two flowmasters under here he's a magician. Sounds to me like he dosen't want to bend the tailpipes. I'd say keep the flows in the back and have the tips attached straight to the mufflers and out the bumper (if that's what you're insistant on doing). Are you planning on lowering your car or is it already lowered? Just my personal opinion but cutting through the bumper is a little ricey if you aren't lowering the car.

i wanted to lower it 1.50' but i may just leave it stock high and hide the pipes. i really do not know how he will fit both but he did it in my bronco so i'll just let the master do his work. he also only has one styl of flowmasters which look like this its the corner to corner one

Attachments

• muff.bmp
    42.3 KB · Views: 129
i would either get straight thru dynomax ultra flo's or magnaflow straight thru,
the straight thru cfm flow is a lot lot higher flowmasters are like 450-500cfm and according to the box my ultra flo's flow 1238 cfms of unrestricted air flow, just think of the flow difference and hp gains this would yield on a very high flowing, big hp sc. Straight thru's give higher hp, lower tq, on the other hand flowmasters give more tq and less hp, we already have an *** load of tq so i chose the straight thru's and noticed a good pick up in the higher rpm's than with my old super turbos.

just my opinion,
Mark

Last edited:
Offset inlet/outlet

is what they call that. Now I especially don't believe he will be able to fit them under the car with out hanging them below everything. I'd watch him do the work and if he starts bending things down you'd might want to say something. Why does he only have one kind of Flowmaster? Is that what he has in stock or is that all he deals with?

IF you were to have him put the mufflers inline under the center of the car you would be better served with center inlet/outlet mufflers. I'd ask him to order you some of those if that is the course you are looking at. You could feasable fit one center in/out muffler in place of the resonator but you would probably have to take out the third CAT and have a y pipe put in...brainstorm...you might be able to get a dual in single out in their place. even better if you want all the custom pipes run, get a dual in/out and run true duals all the way back with the flowmaster acting as an x pipe . only problem would be if you had to drop your tranny you will need to take your exhaust off.

too much flow = less tq

Unless you are he is planning on adding a 5 % pulley or some other mods to the topside of the motor, he will lose some serious bottom end torque with a too free flowing exhaust. like i mentioned before the dual in out muffler would be a bad idea on a stock motor. If you like bottom end torque that is.

leeklimala said:
If your guy can fit two flowmasters under here he's a magician. Sounds to me like he dosen't want to bend the tailpipes. I'd say keep the flows in the back and have the tips attached straight to the mufflers and out the bumper (if that's what you're insistant on doing). Are you planning on lowering your car or is it already lowered? Just my personal opinion but cutting through the bumper is a little ricey if you aren't lowering the car.

Lee,

What's the square bar running just under your exhaust at the rear of the car for?

Eddie

the-big-e said:
Lee,

What's the square bar running just under your exhaust at the rear of the car for?

Eddie

That's not my car just one I snatched off of the TCCOA exhaust page. But that looks like a custom made Independent Rear Suspension Pinion Brace. If you go here you can see what a prof built one looks like and what it does.

Exhaust

I wish that I had a good picture of the exhaust on my car but I do not. I ran the two pipes out of the headers into a 3.0" cat and pipe for the mid section of the car and Y'd it out to 2.5" to each of the Flowmasters 40 series. There is no real way to keep the mufflers in the middle of the car like your exhaust guy is telling you without loosing the cat or running a 30"+ long narrow round muffler, Keep the mufflers in their stock location and the bumper without holes in it, tuck the tips up under the car, no clearance issues and you will not see them. Z tips will fatten up the rear end without cutting holes in the bumper and would look strange with the bumper cut, unless you really want something different.

I did that same exhaust setup in one of my old SC's...Ypipe into a 3 inch cat and back to a dynomax catback setup...Sounded quiet and was a bit peppier.

I also made a mini H pipe into a Y then into stock mufflers..I was planning on doing a dual conversionb when I procured a newer gas tank...However that never came to be..Regardless it was a little ricey..Not to bad though..And cheap as all hell...Even noticed a bit more pull

Back