The trouble with pistons

scscrounger

I am rebuilding my stock engine, and my machinist says that I need new pistons. I have called several part stores including a Ford dealer and nobody carries them. Anybody know of a relatively economical source?

Thanks

scscrounger said:
I am rebuilding my stock engine, and my machinist says that I need new pistons. I have called several part stores including a Ford dealer and nobody carries them. Anybody know of a relatively economical source?

Thanks

The machine shop where I got all my work done ordered the pistons *for* me ... not sure if I got an above-quality shop, or yours is just sluffing off ... but if you haven't asked your machinist, s/he could probably get them for you.

I'm still stripping down my car. My pistons have 10k miles on them and they are .03" over. If you need them, let me know.

They are available from Sealed Power/Federal Mogul/TRW - All the same company, sold under the Sealed Power line.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/content/front/0,2194,2442_2875_6695,00.html

If you check in your town there is likely a local pro shop that can get them for you. Otherwise www.rockauto.com lists them on their site. They are about $28 a piece. Part #H675 with various designators on the end for the type of part. They come with pins and lock rings. And fit 89-95 sc motors.

They are a stock replacement HYPEREUTECTIC piston and available in oversizes. I'm ordering some shortly and will be going with the coated skirt as well.

There is a thread in the member performance form following my re-build of my engine for under 400hp with many great pieces of input from the members here on what to do, and what not to do during the process.

CrazyCouper said:
hyper's in a blown motor could spell trouble, the stock pistons are FORGED.
bill

Stock pistons are HYPEREUTECTIC with forged crankshaft and forged connecting rods.

Just a note.. There is a discussion going on in the member forms specifically about issues found recently with Forged pistons and consideration of using HP pistons in place of custom made forged units.

Last edited:
CrazyCouper said:
hyper's in a blown motor could spell trouble, the stock pistons are FORGED.
bill

There has'nt been a boosted engine yet come from the factory with forged pistons. Most boosted engines had cast pistons in the 80's from the factory, later on they all switched to Hyper's. Hyper's came in all SC engines from the factory. There's a few good reasons not to use forged pistons in a street driven forced induction motor. I've never had a Hyper piston fail yet in any boosted engine I've built. I have however replaced a few failed forged pistons in those engines.

Keith Black makes some very nice Hyper pistons for the SC motor.

Back