I thought SVT COBRAs were supposed to be fast!

darkstar_one

Okay, right now i was coming from CARSON on the 405 north, at the on-ramp i noticed, which i thought was a mustang, thinking he was tough, well he pulls up next to me on the RED STOP LIGHT to the ON RAMP, u know the ones that are right before the freeway to restrict flow, well anyways, the light turns green and we both punch it, of course he takes off before me, and we are both stepping on it with me right on his rear bumper and all he can do is look book at his side rearview mirror, then we both get onto the 110 NORTH towards LOS ANGELES, the 110 north is huge, its like 7 lanes, extra open, and we are going around 70 into the 110 north, he punches it, how do i know, because i can hear his loud *** EXHAUST thats how, and i punch it too... i am right on his tail doing around 105MPH, when i start to pass him, at around 120 he was like 2 cars behind me and couldnt catch up anymore... we went like that for over a mile and still nothing, and i can still hear his loud *** exhaust and i see him on the rear view mirror getting mad, well we calm down and i pull next to him, and i honk at him, and i guess he got mad and stepped on it and just bailed, he was so mad i guess that i kept up or that he lost that he was just weaving in and out of traffic so i wouldnt pull next to him anymore...

well... how did this happen?

Last edited:
4.6's from 96-98 just plain suck...after that they make 300 hp until 03-04 which are 390hp.

If it was an earlier model one I don't doubt you'd whoop the **** out of it. :)

Last edited:
it had the COBRAs on the SIDE, the COBRA in the front and the SVT logo in the back, and the bumper had the COBRA with COBRA metal fit ins, like the ones u find from that banner at the top of the website, METAL INSERTS by AL i guess, soimething like that

I really dont know that much about the cobras. I do know that I raced a non supercharged one at the drag strip and I beat him pretty easy. i also raced a newer one with the 390 hp. supercharged engine and he ran away from me like I was parked. They turn 12.?? on street tires. Like I said I really dont know that much about which one is which.

SCollord90 said:
4.6's from 96-98 just plain suck...after that they make 300 hp until 03-04 which are 390hp.

If it was an earlier model one I don't doubt you'd whoop the **** out of it. :)

You don't know what you're talking about..... :confused:

Are you sure you didn't race a V6 or even a GT with Cobra/SVT badges? I presently own the 3 cars in my signature and I'll tell you that there is no way a true Cobra got beat the way you describe it. You may have beaten a Mustang but not a Cobra running on all 8 cylinders. My SC has a few mods and can't even come close to keeping up with my Cobra or even my Cougar for that matter. The stock 03 Cobra with the right driver is capable of doing high to mid 12's in the 1/4 mile at about 117-mph and a top end speed of about 150-mph.
We all would like to think our beloved SC’s are so fast but in reality they just aren’t. It takes a whole bunch of money to make them fast.

Bryan

Last edited:
DLF said:
You don't know what you're talking about..... :confused:

Do you care to explain why?? I've seen my brother whoop his friends '96 Cobra repeatedly with his old '90 LX. There was no competition really and his friend is a plenty good driver. If thats not enough every opinion I've heard of the 96-98 4.6's say that the power figures are complete bull****e. Earlier and later than 96-98 are good but not those.

SCollord90 said:
Do you care to explain why?? I've seen my brother whoop his friends '96 Cobra repeatedly with his old '90 LX. There was no competition really and his friend is a plenty good driver. If thats not enough every opinion I've heard of the 96-98 4.6's say that the power figures are complete bull****e. Earlier and later than 96-98 are good but not those.

Look at the times in my signature. My '95 SC is pretty quick for a daily driver, but it's been modified quite a bit, and still it's no match for my relatively stock '98 Cobra.

My Cobra, which ran 13.6's bone stock, runs 12.4's with the stock long block, bolt-ons and tuning. 300+ RWHP and 3,650 lbs. race weight. And I'm using a 99 IRS which makes my 60' times slower than when it had a stick axle.

Stock '96-'98 Cobra's (of which the 98 had a better stock tune) had about 260-265 RWHP stock (305 advertised), the 99's and 01's had about 10 more RWHP (320 advertised), but also were heavier and had the IRS, which without serious mods, or a switch to a solid axle, make quick times next to impossible.

Check my web page for mods, dyno charts and time slips. http://www.patmedia.net/fraleigh/

Perhaps you're thinking about the '94-'95 5.0 Cobra's, which are dogs.

Last edited:
Like I said I really dont know much about Cobras. I cant even tell the differant years apart. I do know that with my latest mods I can beat the non supercharged ones. The supercharged models are another story. I have seen some low 12 second runs made by them. Like to have the intercooler setup they have. If you are going to beat one of them you had better have some serious work done. Bolt ons aint going to do it.

SCollord90 said:
If thats not enough every opinion I've heard of the 96-98 4.6's say that the power figures are complete bull****e. Earlier and later than 96-98 are good but not those.

Are you saying the 4.6L before 1996 were better than the ones made from '96 - '98? Everything I have every heard about the 4.6L indicates the power has been steadily increasing (for a given configuration) since the engine was introduced.

Mustangs didn't have the 4.6L before 1996. Before 1994 I think the only cars to use the 4.6L were Crown Vics, and Towncars, and that was a 200 HP engine. I've got a 1995 4.6L in my other T-bird, it is a PIG. The '96/'97 4.6L T-birds were quite a bit faster than the '94/'95's. I think the HP rating was the same, but they had more low RPM torque. the 1999 engine had a pretty good power bump for the 2V.

Also, there is no "e" on the end of ********.

No offense to anyone here, but my stock '93 Cobra will beat most of the SC's on this site. All I have to do is put a set of slicks on and it will run 13.1's to 13.4's all day long and 13.3's to 13.8's without slicks. My brother also has a '93 cobra, the only mods being 3.73 gears, exhaust, and a Vortech supercharger making 11-12 psi, can consistently run 11.70's all day long.

Some reasons the '94-'95 Cobras are doggy is ford used a different processor and they weigh considerbly more than a fox body stang (79-93). '94 and '95 have the same drivetrain as the '93 Cobra.

'96-'98 have a great motor and run good. They are a little low on the torque side but have great potential with just a few inexpensive mods. If you put a supercharger on one of these and get the tuning right look out, you're toasting stock '03 and '04 cobras.

Ditto on the '99, '01, and '02 Cobras, Ford didn't produce a '00 Cobra except for the radical "R" version which is in a different league.

Then you have the '03 and '04 Cobras which are simply phenomenal bang for the buck. Buy one of these spend 1000 to 1500 dollars and you have an 11 second car.

I have either owned, help tune, or modify every car that is mentioned above except for the '00 Cobra R.

You either have a highly modified SC, the guy couldn't drive his Cobra, or it was a V6 or GT with Cobra badging. There is no way if you have comparable drivers that a mildly modified SC would beat a Cobra.

Last edited:
darkstar_one said:
Okay, right now i was coming from CARSON on the 405 north, at the on-ramp i noticed, which i thought was a mustang, thinking he was tough, well he pulls up next to me on the RED STOP LIGHT to the ON RAMP, u know the ones that are right before the freeway to restrict flow, well anyways, the light turns green and we both punch it, of course he takes off before me, and we are both stepping on it with me right on his rear bumper and all he can do is look book at his side rearview mirror, then we both get onto the 110 NORTH towards LOS ANGELES, the 110 north is huge, its like 7 lanes, extra open, and we are going around 70 into the 110 north, he punches it, how do i know, because i can hear his loud *** EXHAUST thats how, and i punch it too... i am right on his tail doing around 105MPH, when i start to pass him, at around 120 he was like 2 cars behind me and couldnt catch up anymore... we went like that for over a mile and still nothing, and i can still hear his loud *** exhaust and i see him on the rear view mirror getting mad, well we calm down and i pull next to him, and i honk at him, and i guess he got mad and stepped on it and just bailed, he was so mad i guess that i kept up or that he lost that he was just weaving in and out of traffic so i wouldnt pull next to him anymore...

well... how did this happen?
This from the guy with no liscence or insurance haha

Anyway, either it was some ghey dude who didn't want to drop it to the floor, or a badged up V6.

what are u trying to say al... huh.... :confused: i do have my license and insurance... but whats the point... everyone on the freeway is speeding wether u want to admit it or not... so technically everybody breaks the law every freaking day of their lives... dudes... ive seen badged up COBRAs... they have only the COBRAS on the side but still have the MUSTANG on the rear bumper cover... i dont know... everybody just drop this damn thread... i dont even know why i even posted this damn thread to begin with if i knew some people were gonna start bitching and moaning... well anyways... i dont know what the **** it was and how the hell it happened... but i guess i cant call it a kill because its truely unbelievable...

darkstar_one said:
what are u trying to say al... huh.... :confused: i do have my license and insurance... but whats the point... everyone on the freeway is speeding wether u want to admit it or not... so technically everybody breaks the law every freaking day of their lives... dudes... ive seen badged up COBRAs... they have only the COBRAS on the side but still have the MUSTANG on the rear bumper cover... i dont know... everybody just drop this damn thread... i dont even know why i even posted this damn thread to begin with if i knew some people were gonna start bitching and moaning... well anyways... i dont know what the **** it was and how the hell it happened... but i guess i cant call it a kill because its truely unbelievable...
Confused you with someone else I think....oh well. Don't get your panties in a knot. Some of us don't take too kindly to street racing, others think its the coolest ever. Some have a hard time believing you could beat a cobra that bad...whatever.

al35thsc said:
Confused you with someone else I think....oh well. Don't get your panties in a knot. Some of us don't take too kindly to street racing, others think its the coolest ever. Some have a hard time believing you could beat a cobra that bad...whatever.

dude everybody street races... some of u are even dumb enough to drive drunk with out ur licenses... i recall a story on this board... but anyways... i dont know... whatever... yes i know its hard believing that a SC beat a cobra... but anyways... lets move on... i know it sounds impossible but whats done is done...

oh and i dont wear panties.. i wear boxers...

thats good cause if you are a guy and you wear panties i would have to ask you to slap yourself and ask what the F^%$ are you doin hahahaha LOL :D
but anyways Im glad you beat that cobra i raced one the other day that mofo pissed me the F*&^ off he was F*&^in with me i stayed on his @$$ but never could pass him but my car does have parts going out. you lucky bastrd. LOL :cool:

What is so funny to me is I own a 2000 SVT Contour and that car stock will hang with a stock SC in a straight line with no problem, get into the twisties and I'll leave an SC far behind(trust me, I've done it). By your analogy then I should be able to outrun a Cobra. Aint gonna happen! Been there done that and got the Tshirt. Outrun a Cobra on the track then come post that, at least at the track you will know for sure he's racing you and really trying.
Street racing is stupid and I hope you dont end up killing yourself or someone else doing it. You live in Cali so hook up with Jim Demmit and go to the track, he goes there alot.

Someone get this kid a sense of humor...

Fine, keep street racing. South Central....just another statistic.

Back