Will a 76 F100 302 fit an 89 SC chassis?

TBirdSC89VA

A buddy of mine has a truck he said I could get for free. He claims it has a 302 under the hood.

Was just wondering if it would fit, I understand some modifications would probably have to be done, but I did some searching and found nothing about this particular year.

My SC has the 5 speed, would this bolt up?

Thanks for any input, just figured I'd ask before I put any deep thought into it.

I'd say most likely no. Unless you took the efi off your car. It most likely will built up to your tranny, but i am not sure. if it doesn't, just get a tranny from a mustang. But then again, i'm not sure if they yoke will be long enough.

I would go carbed, just wondering how hard it would be to get the motor in there, and be able to drive, even if ******.

A 302 is a 302.....you would most likely have to update the belt drives to 5.0HO "car" stuff to get it too fit in the hole and run. Yes it will bolt up to the tranny (any 3.8, 302, 351). It is a CARB motor and would take a bit of finess to update it to EFI if you wanted that. Of course....why bother? You can find 5.0HO EFI ready to go at any junk yard. And if you were trying to put a bigger motor in, you might as well drop a 351 in there (only 3 inches more in hieght total) motor mounts will work and the tranny will still bolt up. WINDSOR BABY!!

Well if it's not TOO hard on the wallet and time clock, I'm just putting this in to get by. It will be a while before I have a 351 ready, and I'd wait until I had it fully built before I put it in. Thanks for the input.

1980 and earlier 302s have different crank balancing than 81 and newer. So if you do use the 76 engine, you need to make sure you have the proper balancer and flywheel to match the year of the motor, and the vehicle it's going in ...

cheers,
Ed N.

I wonder if the truck oil pan will be the right shape to clear k-member.
You may need a Oil pan from a bird.or noch the k-member.

If you have a cutting torch,and a welder.Any Ford motor can be fitted
into a MN12 chassis.

RANDY

Well I have the truck to tear apart, he's just going to junk it, and it has a 4 speed in it now. He claims I can sell the 4 speed since it's in excellent shape, and is an older mustang tranny.

So can I just use the flywheel that's on the motor right now?

Back