Where to get a set of '99 Cobra halfshafts at?

quick35th

I was wandering if anyone knew where I can get a set of '99 Cobra halfshafts cheap at for my SC?

Shane

cougarsc said:
They won't work for the Sc.

Thats what I thought to but one of my buddies has a '96 4.6L Tbird and has them on his car. He said that he got them from a friend and that they were unmodded and they bolted right up. I argued with him about how they dont bolt up that the end or something has to be changed but he insisted that these were unchanged '99 cobra halfshafts that went right in. I am going to see if I can get him to drag his car over to my place and take some pics.

Shane

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
They will go in...But are the wrong lenght from what I been told..And yes they are also different

Yeah they are fatter and stronger thats why I want them. I am not sure if the stock halfshafts can handle 500-600HP.

Shane

The Cobra axles are shorter, but there is play in the inner joints that will allow them to work. I am quite sure that the torque capacity is reduced due to the loading of the inner joint because of this.

Shane, you have much bigger things to worry about that breaking axles. If Gary can launch his 3800lb SC at 4000rpm on ET Streets darn near pulling the wheels off the ground, (oh and did I mention 480rwtq) without breaking anything, you will be fine with road race tires. I don't recall if Ted Lyons has had any axle shaft issues but he also has over 600hp.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Dave, yeah I know I have lots of things to worry about. When I have problems I will be putting them in my thread intitled "Swapping in a V8 project thread." I just wanted to build a bullet proof drivetrain. Oh and Ted has a nascar style driveshaft on his car.

Shane

quick35th said:
Thanks guys for the advice.

Dave, yeah I know I have lots of things to worry about. When I have problems I will be putting them in my thread intitled "Swapping in a V8 project thread." I just wanted to build a bullet proof drivetrain. Oh and Ted has a nascar style driveshaft on his car.

Shane

Driveshaft yes, halfshafts no. Nascar does not use floating axles. ;)

Back