Need Belt Help?

awjea

Today I put an original Water Pump pulley on, since I was having heat issues with the underdrives............also a new gatorback belt. I put the belt on and it doesn't have enough tension, the belt seems to long, but I have confirmed with 3 sources for the correct number and it is right. So, has anyone experienced this, and thoughts, suggestions, anything?
Thanks,
Greg

If you left the underdrive pulley on the crank, it has caused the belt to be too long. In the underdrive set I have the crank pulley is smaller (on the accessories only) and the water pump and alt pulleys are larger. When all three are installed the stock belt works fine. I have a similar issue since I took off the larger underdrive alt pulley, I'm going to search for a slightly smaller belt to get the tensioner back in range.

make sure you let me know.......

Please be sure and post which one works for you if you find one........... On the Gates and Goodyear websites they don't allow you to search by size, so I guess I will have to call them up and get one an inch or two smaller..........
If you find one that works, please post it........
Out of curiousity, can any crank pulley work that is stock, I heard something about balancing...........so I'm not sure how to approach that.............?
Greg

Unfortunately, not just any stock pulley may be used with any stock balancer. They are balanced as a unit and some weights may be welded to the pulley and pins may be inserted into holes on the balancer itself to achieve this balance. Ford only sells new ones as a balanced unit that has the pulley and the balancer.

From what we have collectively gathered, the stock balancer is neutrally balanced. The stamped steel pulley is typically out of balance. Weights are welded to the stamped pulley to get it close to being neutral and then the pins are put in the balancer to do the final balancing of the assembly (balancer and pulley together).

If you need to use a pulley from another balancer, you need to know the number of pins inserted into that pulley’s balancer and the location of those pins. Then the pins can be re-inserted into the same positions on your balancer for that pulley.

If you use an aftermarket pulley, they are generally considered to be neutrally balanced and you only need to remove all balance pins from your balancer. Note the locations of the pins so they can be re-inserted if you go back to your stock pulley.

Now, you could get lucky and your balancer could have no pins. This means that the weights welded to the pulley were enough to correct the imbalance for the pair!

Back