Major Problem (I think so)

drummerzrok24

Ok, for starters I have a 92 SC w/ 82500kms, auto trans, no engine mods.

On my way to school yesterday, I noticed a little squeaking noise coming from the engine. At first I though it was a belt or the fan squeaking. So I shut off the heat ( It was cold outside) and the squeaking still persisted. About 30 seconds later a knocking noise was coming from the engine. It started off quiet and just got louder and louder. It was knocking with the revs. (faster revs, faster knocking). I pulled over, got my buddy to follow me to school at like 10km/h. Parked the car in the parking lot and went to class. 2nd Period, I brought the car into the auto shop to figure out what could be wrong. We took all the belts off and the knocking still persisted. Put the belts pack on and then checked where to sound could be coming from. I'm thinking it's a lifter or something in that area. So I shut the car off, and waited about 45 mins before starting it up again. This time, I heard squeaking coming from the engine. For me, a sign of squeaking is an engine seizing. So I shut it off and called it a day, left the car at school. I got home talked to my uncle (still his car for a few days) He said he would have a tow truck come and pick it up and get it fixed.

Today..... I had to move the car out of the shop for a few minutes. When I started it up, squeaking again, but hardly knocking. Backed it out slowly of the garage and parked it outside. Just as I was shutting it off......no more squeaking, like it was gone. And I could hardly notice a small knocking sound going with the rpm's. I find the completely odd. I did do a search, but nothing i found had the same problem as I did. I did notice that alot of people replaced the lifters when the knocking problem occured, but I have a much more complicated problem.

So what could it be and what can I do to fix this, or should I just bring it to a mechanic for him to fix. I know my uncle wants to get it fixed, so I can drive it, but I just want to have a general ideal of what could be wrong.

Thanks alot...

Jean

Ok, I am still at school. Went outside to see if it did anything different now. Very little knock, and it squeaks at about 2300rpm. Just though I would at that.

Knocking, squeeking, bearing fixing to spin???? Just a guess, what is the oil pressure like? Do you have a magnetic drain plug? Would have an expert look at it for sure. Probably ought to tow it where ever it needs to go.

We took all the belts off and the knocking still persisted.

This is a line from the original post, Do any of the idlers spin without the belts on? Not that I know of.

Correction, it has 182kms.

And my uncle had a bad day, his F-350 SD blew up on his way to check the car out, so he told me to drive it home. He didnt care if the engine died or what ever happend, he just wanted to see it home. It lasted about 15 mins on the road..... it's dead. Heavy knocking, floorboards shake REAL hard :) I think it needs an engine!

drummerzrok24 said:
Correction, it has 182kms.

And my uncle had a bad day, his F-350 SD blew up on his way to check the car out, so he told me to drive it home. He didnt care if the engine died or what ever happend, he just wanted to see it home. It lasted about 15 mins on the road..... it's dead. Heavy knocking, floorboards shake REAL hard :) I think it needs an engine!

If it was not so close to Christmas I think alot of the members here would be laughing. It is most likely a spun bearing. Did you not read any of the answers you got? Such as do not drive it. Oh well.........Squeaks and knocks are not good news. So your Uncle has 2 blown motors to fix instead of just 1.

you spun a rod or main bearing...time for a rebuild, be prepared to either sell it or put some money into it

drain the oil and see if there is any coolant or other fluids that arent oil, mine had coolant in it and the coolant will come out first then the oil

Watch the crank shaft pulley while the engine is running. A failed harmonic balancer with the rubber section screwed up could cause similar types of noises, the knocking being the balancer hitting the crank position sensor.

Im with Mike on this one. Had one fail that made about the same sounds.
If there is any wobble this may be your problem. Car will not run if the balancer hits the sensor.

markadeck said:
Knocking, squeeking, bearing fixing to spin???? Just a guess, what is the oil pressure like? Do you have a magnetic drain plug? Would have an expert look at it for sure. Probably ought to tow it where ever it needs to go.

When a man is real old and spent his youth drag racing and building his own motors @ 5 or 10 grand a pop he hears a squeak followed by a knock either a crank is going to seize and stop the entire engine or a rod is going to break and shake the entire car as the rest of the engine will keep turning until it is shut down. If you had had it towed yesterday instead of trying to drive it there would have been a not so expensive way to repair it. Oh well.

Ahh well... He is giving me the car, but it needs an engine.

Now my question is, what year 3.8LSC engine will fit in my 92SC? I'm just going to do a swap so I need to know what year engines will fit in the car.

That really stinks. :( Any year SC motor will work but a 94-95 will require you to change the HB and install an old style crank sensor.

Back