Looking for some feed back on aftermarket clutch.

Ryan A Harris

I'm going to have to replace the stock clutch soon. After about 230,000KM's on it, its strating to slip. I'm hoping to get some feed back as to what aftermarket clucth(es) guys are running, and how do you like them. I'm also going to conisder a aluminum fly wheel to install at the same time. From clucth depot, it looks like about 650-700 USD for a spec stage III, and AL flywheel. So, this leaves with some time to gather up cash for this. At this piont the car is a daily driver, but it won't be that for ever. I find the stock clutch almost perfect, for me. When others drive my car, they say "your clutch is hard". I like it that way, or I guess thats what I'm used to now.
This is the 1st time I have had to EVER buy a clucth, so, any info will be very helpful to me on this subject. Thanks.

I just had a Spec stage 1 and the aluminum flywheel put in last week. What a difference! It is way stiffer than the stock one was, so I can't imagine what a stage 2 or 3 would be like. I know it is supposed to loosen up with some breakin time so we will see. I sure won't be holding the clutch in at stop lights any more!

But so far I love it. No clutch chatter, very smooth and quick engagement, the trans goes into every gear with no problems. Every reason I had for replacing the clutch have been taken care of.

I got it from Clutch Depot too. I also replaced the pilot bearing, the master cylinder, and I made slave cylinder spacers like many have spoken about. The slave was only a year and a half old so I did not replace it.

Ron

Thanks,

I had a look at the SPEC web page, some nice stuff. They have an option for $79 to add the "lightweight" package to ANY clutch. Has anyone done that? I'm leaning towards the stage 2, only becuase I may exced the torque on a stage, well some day. I hope a few more can add their info, it would be great.

Ryan, from what I understand, the Stage 2 should be plenty for most street SC applications. The Stage 3 would be for a car that is seeing a lot of track usage.

I'm considering the Stage 2 myself. My clutch with about 150,000 km still seems OK, but I have a leaking slave cylinder ... so I'm not going to put in a new slave with the old clutch. I also have a McLeod aluminium flywheel to go in, my $100 US eBay score from a few weeks ago. :D

cheers,
Ed N.

Just another voice in the wild, I'm also planning on installing the Spec Stage 2 clutch this winter. My stock clutch is toast at around 200k miles (couldn't hardly get up the slight incline to get it in the garage). I'll be going with the Aluminum flywheel and the lightened clutch option as well.

If you search I think someone mentioned that they felt the Spec clutch was pretty damn heavy compared to stock so getting it lightened is a good idea.

I put a stage 2 in my 94 about 2 weeks ago, I haven't driven it in about 6 months, waiting on my motor rebuild, so I had forgotten what the stock "felt" like. With the stage 2 you know you have heavy duty clutch, especially after moving the 89 parts car I purchased. It has a dual force in it, and the clutch felt 100% lighter.

Bit of FYI, I have a great deal of chatter on take off and on 3-2 downshift that seems to be getting better.

I would say for 90% of us SC'ers the Stage 2 will be all the clutch we will ever need, and of thos 90%, maybe 50% will never need over a stage 1, but this is just my humble $.02

SPEC Stage III

I really like my Stage III, but I grew up driving Muscle Cars with stiff clutches. I bought my XR-7 new, & have always thought that the OEM clutch felt like stepping on a cooked noodle. You kinda know you're stepping on something, just not sure what it is!!!!!!!!!

Yes the SPEC clutches are VERY HEAVY. I wish now that I had gotten the "lightened" version. Basically, w/o the lightening, you will loose all the advantage of the alum. flywheel.

With any ceramic clutch, you have to be quick on the clutch. When the ceramic grabs, it GRABS!!!!!! No More slipping the clutch, or granny driving!!!!!

68COUGAR

I love my SPEC II in all aspects except the ocassional long red light. No chatter/ slippage probs here!

Long Red Light?

acb92sc said:
I love my SPEC II in all aspects except the ocassional long red light.
Long Red Light? OK, somebodies gotta ask, What "Long Red Light"?

Confused 68COUGAR

Spec.......?

Got a Spec III light weight for sale, t/o bearing, install shaft, $350. New never installed. W.L. Oh yeah, plus shippin'.

Last edited:
i have a stage 3 and love it, its heavy but i dont have little twiggy legs...never slips and i get 3rd gear tire hop with the sheitty tires i ahve on now, so it holds well, i'd recommend it. miens a daily driver and its not that bad, unless you have to deal with lots of traffic that isnt that fun

Go Spec !! :)

i havent herd of any people that were dissatisfied yet with these clutches, only thing i will recommend is to get it lightned, mine in the pic got done, takes a little weight off of it.. and while your there, you could go with a aluminum flywheel as well, also in pic :) ...good luck..tell us what u go with.. Alex L

in pic

* Spec Stage III Clutch kit with lightened pressure plate (6 star clutch)
* Spec Aluminum flywheel
* Rebuilt tranny with brass syncros
* New slave cyclinder

Back